New product line made in safe work setting

For the past year, the University of Miami, in conjunction with Follett Higher Education Group, has been selling a new product line that adheres to fair labor practices. Knights Apparel, the leading producer of collegiate apparel sold in campus bookstores, has brought its Alta Gracia clothing brand to hundreds of college campuses, including UM. This is the first apparel brand in the world that is compensating its workers with a “living wage.”

Enabling workers to make three times the average pay and join unions without a fight, the Alta Gracia factory is a pioneer in fair trade garment production. Located in an impoverished town in the Dominican Republic, the facility holds 120 employees and pays them the calculated cost for food, shelter, housing, healthcare and education. The factory allows workers to join a union, exercise their workers’ rights and work in a healthy and safe environment.

“What makes Alta Gracia not another apparel brand is that it can be life changing not only for the individual, but for the families,” said Joe Bozich, CEO of Knights Apparel. “We can help create the opportunity to change the situation of these workers, which we believe is very rewarding.”

Workers at the factory are equally excited about Alta Gracia, a name that has changed their lives.

“The wage gives us a place to feel at home and a decent salary,” said Martiza Vargas, a worker at the factory. “In other factories, Dominican laws and international conventions are overlooked. At Villa Alta Gracia, we’re spread out, have better ventilation and, more importantly, they treat us with a lot of respect.”

The factory is heavily monitored by the Worker Rights Consortium, a labor rights watchdog with which over 175 U.S. universities are affiliated with. This organization publishes an evaluation of facilities like Alta Gracia to assure they meet fair labor requirements. In addition, the Alta Gracia T-shirts, sweatpants and hoodies will carry a tag attesting to the factory meeting Worker Rights Consortium’s requirements for responsible labor practices.

“The compliance of standards at Alta Gracia is exemplary,” said Theresa Haas, director of communications at the WRC.

Visit them on the web at altagraciaapparel.com.

June 22, 2011

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...