A new home for the UM community

Giorgio Antoniazzi//The Miami Hurricane

Alumni received the red carpet treatment as they arrived to show their support for the University of Miami’s new alumni center.

UM and its Alumni Association celebrated the grand opening of the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center on October 8 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and dedication.

Donna Arbide, UM Associate VP of Alumni Relations and the Annual Fund and Executive Director of the Alumni Association, kicked off the ceremony with statements expressing her joy and appreciation.

“The goal was to build an Alumni Center that evoked feelings of nostalgia, and to project optimistic and progressive vision of the institution’s future,” Arbide said.

The center was funded by donations from over 600 alumni, with the lead gift coming from Judi Prokop Newman and her husband, Bob.

“Bob and I decided to support this Center because we understood the importance of having a beautiful facility on campus that alumni could call home,” Newman said.

The signature building is still left unfinished as the University looks for nine million dollars more in donations to finish the third and fourth floor. The Newman family has developed a $50,000 challenge where they will match donations dollar-for-dollar to get it started.

President Donna E. Shalala came out to unveil an eight-foot-tall bronze statue of Sebastian the Ibis, built by Patrick Filbotte, former faculty member at the University of Miami.

He first built the statue out of clay in his studio and then bronzed it. The entire process took about two years. The 1400-pound statue lies in the entry courtyard.

“The building is breathtaking and I can not even find words to describe it,” Filbotte said.  “As for the statue, I put my heart and soul into the thing.”

Once the ceremony concluded with the cutting of the ribbon, alumni were allowed to take a tour of the building and see what it entails.

The 72,000-square-foot, four-story building is located on the corner of Brescia Avenue and Hurricane Drive facing Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

The Alumni Center features Seabstian’s Café. The cafe has a UM-themed bistro menu, with items such as bagels, grilled sandwiches and wraps. The cafe is open for breakfast and lunch and will close at 2:30 p.m. daily.

It also houses its own library that will include UM yearbooks dating back to the university’s inception. A living room named after its donors Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Dany Garcia features a mural depicting the university’s history. There is also a business center and executive conference room equipped with state-of-the art equipment for visiting alumni.

World-renowned architect Michael Dennis designed the center with the help of the design team of MGE Architects. MGE Architects is led by Rolando Conesa, alumnus of the University.

June 22, 2011

Sean Leonardo

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...