New program included

Starting this spring, the School of Education will be accepting students for Project INCLUDE (Inclusive Collaborative Leaders United for Diversity Education).

Project INCLUDE will offer students the opportunity to major in an education degree program and receive certification in teaching special education.

“We want to infuse special education competency throughout the program,” said Miriam Lipsky, the project manager.

Prior to this, the School of Education offered special education as a separate degree program. Declining interest led them to reconfigure the program.

“We have been working on revising the syllabus since last spring,” Lipsky said.

Acceptance to the program is similar to declaring a major.

“We hope to prepare teachers to teach in an inclusive program with all sorts of diversity including cultural, linguistic and economic,” Lipsky said.

After graduating from this program, students will be ready for dual certification in elementary or higher education, and special education and will be eligible for ESOL and reading endorsements.

“These teachers will be highly qualified to teach in many different settings,” Lipsky said.

To implement the program, the School of Education received a five-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education.

Lipsky has received positive feedback from several students, some of who are eager to enter the program early.

“I had one girl who graduated and was disappointed we hadn’t implemented the program earlier,” Lipsky said.

June 15, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...