New program included

Starting this spring, the School of Education will be accepting students for Project INCLUDE (Inclusive Collaborative Leaders United for Diversity Education).

Project INCLUDE will offer students the opportunity to major in an education degree program and receive certification in teaching special education.

“We want to infuse special education competency throughout the program,” said Miriam Lipsky, the project manager.

Prior to this, the School of Education offered special education as a separate degree program. Declining interest led them to reconfigure the program.

“We have been working on revising the syllabus since last spring,” Lipsky said.

Acceptance to the program is similar to declaring a major.

“We hope to prepare teachers to teach in an inclusive program with all sorts of diversity including cultural, linguistic and economic,” Lipsky said.

After graduating from this program, students will be ready for dual certification in elementary or higher education, and special education and will be eligible for ESOL and reading endorsements.

“These teachers will be highly qualified to teach in many different settings,” Lipsky said.

To implement the program, the School of Education received a five-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education.

Lipsky has received positive feedback from several students, some of who are eager to enter the program early.

“I had one girl who graduated and was disappointed we hadn’t implemented the program earlier,” Lipsky said.

June 15, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

A sobering reminder came watching the Golden State Warriors slice through the NBA to a championship ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...

The Miami women's swimming & diving program was among those recognized by the College Swimm ...

Five members of the University of Miami track and field program will compete against their country ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Dejan Vasiljevic is set to compete for Australia ...