UM gets more channels

S

Starting this fall, the University of Miami will switch cable service providers from Comcast to Campus Televideo (CTV).

CTV was founded in 1994 and provides cable to over 220 colleges and universities, including Florida International University, Brown University, Emory University and New York University.

“CTV is dedicated to college campuses,” said Jake Krupa, Student Government Treasurer. “It provided the U with the flexibility they are looking for.”

When the university’s contract with Comcast came up for renewal, the university opted to search for a new cable provider.

“Comcast is mainly focused on residential providers,” Krupa said. “However, it was extremely limiting to the school. There was no way we could make changes to the lineup.”

The CTV line up will offer UM 150 channels, 30 of which will be analog, 70 digital, and 50 HD. A panel of SG members chose 140 of the 150 channels available. UMTV, the school’s student-run TV station, will be included in this line up.

“We have filled 140 spots with the main TV everyone watches, “ Krupa said. “This includes five HBP channels, ESPN, all the major sports networks, science channels, two history channels, National Geographic, Discovery channel, the Oprah Winfrey network, literally just about any channel you could imagine.”

The remaining ten channels will be used to incorporate student request. CTV also hopes to have an online service that will allow any student with Internet access to stream TV online.

“It won’t be up and running immediately,” Krupa said. “But it’s something they have on other college campuses and it’s something we are moving for.”

Comcast will continue to carry UMTV for its subscribers in the city of Coral Gables.

According to Dr. Terry Bloom, the program director for the SoC’s electronic media department, airing shows in the community adds a professional dimension to the programming.

“There’s a huge difference to say to prospective students, ‘go play in the studios’ than to say ‘go play in the studios and produce a TV show for an audience,’” she said.

June 14, 2011

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...