Team makes a splash, brings talent to the diving board

The University of Miami swim team is looking forward to hitting the pool once again. Last year was filled with highs and lows, but there was one swimmer who shined above all.

Recent graduate Brittany Viola came out on top with a national championship on the 10-meter platform dive, the second such award of her career. She graduates as one of the more decorated swimmers in UM history.

Among her successes diving for the Hurricanes, Viola has qualified for the world championships. After competing there, she will look to represent the USA in the 2012 Olympics, looking to bring a gold medal not only to her school, but to her country.

“It was such a relieving feeling that everything I could have hoped my college career would end like, it happened,” said Viola of her championship.

With such an experienced veteran leader taking her talents outside UM, the team is looking for someone to take her place. Many of the girls are very optimistic that this upcoming season will be a season to remember.

They have added great talent and a new assistant head coach, in addition to great returning veterans. Junior swimmer Taylor Grenda believes new assistant coach Aaron Ciarla is a person who can turn around their program for the better.

“I think this year is going to be great. We get a fresh start with a new coach who has a great swimming background,” Grenda said. “A new coach can help change a lot within a team. Last year was a building year and I think this coach can take us to the next level.”

June 14, 2011

Michelle Salom

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...