Team makes a splash, brings talent to the diving board

The University of Miami swim team is looking forward to hitting the pool once again. Last year was filled with highs and lows, but there was one swimmer who shined above all.

Recent graduate Brittany Viola came out on top with a national championship on the 10-meter platform dive, the second such award of her career. She graduates as one of the more decorated swimmers in UM history.

Among her successes diving for the Hurricanes, Viola has qualified for the world championships. After competing there, she will look to represent the USA in the 2012 Olympics, looking to bring a gold medal not only to her school, but to her country.

“It was such a relieving feeling that everything I could have hoped my college career would end like, it happened,” said Viola of her championship.

With such an experienced veteran leader taking her talents outside UM, the team is looking for someone to take her place. Many of the girls are very optimistic that this upcoming season will be a season to remember.

They have added great talent and a new assistant head coach, in addition to great returning veterans. Junior swimmer Taylor Grenda believes new assistant coach Aaron Ciarla is a person who can turn around their program for the better.

“I think this year is going to be great. We get a fresh start with a new coach who has a great swimming background,” Grenda said. “A new coach can help change a lot within a team. Last year was a building year and I think this coach can take us to the next level.”

June 14, 2011

Michelle Salom

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...