Students find meaning, niche through service

Carving out your niche in college isn’t easy. But what better way to find a community than through community service?

The William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development at the University of Miami is an office on campus that encourages student involvement within the Miami community and challenges them to grow as leaders individually.

The Butler Center has become an important part of campus life, primarily through connecting students with each other by reaching out to the outside community through service programs, leadership development campaigns and connections with service-based student organizations.

“Working in the [Butler Center] last summer was probably one of the great memories I will have in my four years at UM. The friendships I made and skills I gained are irreplaceable,” said sophomore Natalie Fontela, a senior worker at the Butler Center. “[It] is an amazing place to be around and it’s definitely an office and department that impacts the whole university and its students greatly.”

Random Acts of Kindness, Dance Marathon, STRIVE, alternative spring breaks, CERT and Relay for Life are all run through the Butler Center.

For example, FunDay is the longest-running community service event at the University of Miami and pairs more than 350 special needs citizens from the Greater Miami-Dade area with student volunteers for a day of fun, games and food.

“You make a friend for a day,” said senior Elyse Feinerman, an executive board member who is was in charge of last year’s arts and crafts. “You not only make their day by being their friend, but you also have the time of your life.”

FunDay is just one of the many service opportunities available during the year through the Butler Center.

The Butler Center originated as a part of the Smith-Tucker Involvement Center and originally had one student representative. Eventually, the office grew and was named after William R. Butler, a past vice president of student affairs at UM who left the position in 1997.

“I think that he has helped me grow more than anybody on campus or ever,” said senior Claire Heckerman, who is also a senior worker at the Butler Center. “I think I have transformed as a leader in the last two years from being a frustrated sophomore to an adult that can work with different types of people.”

June 14, 2011

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...