Canes Film Festival showcases student work

Film students, take note – your shot at Hollywood stardom is right here.

Canes Film Festival, now in its 14th year, is a three-day event at Cosford Cinema that showcases pieces created by undergraduate and graduate students. This year, the event ran from May 6-8.

Members of UFilm and other students completely ran the festival.  The 2011 theme, “Celebrating the Past, but Never Looking Back,” emphasized the changing technologies of film, but also embraced significant changes to the event.

“We’ve had a big transformation from last year- the festival is now student-run, we have digital submission, screening is at a higher quality standard and the judging has been revamped,” said Maggie Drayton, a second-year graduate student who was the festival coordinator.

School of Communication Assistant Dean Blyth Daylong said that the festival brings in a numerous amount of people to the Cosford Cinema.

“Lots of students go to see each other’s films and bring their friends and family,” he said. “There’s usually standing room only on Friday and Saturday.”

Prejudging is done by local industry professionals who watch between 60 and 70 films that have to be under 20 minutes each. Prizes are offered in several different categories, including a “Best of Festival” for one undergraduate and one graduate film. The best films then go on to be showcased at Paramount Studios in Los Angeles for agents, producers and directors.

“We’re serious about what is up-to-standard in the industry level,” Drayton said. “These are the best films we have to offer.”

This year, 10 student films were chosen as the Canes Film Festival winners. Among them were “The Haircut” and “Rionegro,” for which Tim Warren, a School of Communication master’s student, was the director, screenwriter and editor.

“Canes Film Festival was a unique opportunity – nowhere outside of this program would we have the chance to meet Jon Landau and see our films on the Paramount Pictures lot. That is quite possibly the best movie theater I have been in, technically, and it was an amazing experience to see my films on it,” Warren said.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

June 14, 2011

Alexandra Valenzuela

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...