UM Seniors hit it big online

Evan Krumholz (right) and Nash Prince are the masterminds behind the "Nassau State of Mind" Youtube video. Marlena Strobe // The Miami Hurricane

Forget about “Empire State of Mind.” For two University of Miami class of 2011 graduates, it’s all about Nassau County.

In mid-August, Nash Prince and Evan Krumholz created a YouTube video spoof of Jay-Z’s hit, along with two friends who also hail from Long Island, Tyler Gildin and Cody Milch. The video went viral overnight.

“We all grew up on Long Island so we were just taking all the different stereotypes… and going with it,” Prince said.

New Yorkers, and even those from out of town, connected instantly with the parody, which references familiar Long Island restaurants, shopping areas and inside jokes.

“There are always certain truths – like there is a large Persian population in the Great Neck area and Matteo’s is the spot to eat; we just put all the things we’ve been saying all along in the song,” said Krumholz, who co-wrote the lyrics with Gildin. “If you’re from the area, it strikes a cord on a very personal level.”

Once Krumholz and Gildin perfected the lyrics, they approached Milch to direct and Prince to work with the music for the project. The four began by recording the track in Prince’s home studio, where he later produced it.

“[The recording] was pretty rough at the time. I just helped smooth it out and lowered Tyler’s voice so he sounded more like a rapper,” Prince said with a laugh. “I also sang on it, added in a few effects here and there and, when we had finished, we started filming.”

After three days of shooting and two days of editing, the four posted their finished product, with a runtime of four minutes and 37 seconds, on YouTube on Aug. 13.

“Our main goal was to get 5,000 hits in one week,” Prince said. “Instead we got 200,000 in three to four days; I was just blown away.”

The boys were immediately featured on the NBC New York news program, the Howard Stern H-100 radio show and also on many popular blogs and websites, like barstoolsports.com.

“YouTube is the best vehicle to get stuff out. We had a feeling it would be popular with our friends, but had no idea how big it would get,” Krumholz said.

According to YouTube’s analytic information posted below the video, it has received 1,074,291 hits as of May 24, has been viewed on almost every continent and is most popular with people in their early 40s to mid-50s.

“The biggest surprise has probably been the age demographic of the people who view the video,” Prince said. “It’s a lot of people sending it to all their friends, people who still live in Nassau County and ones that have moved away but enjoy the memories of home.”

While older viewers greatly identified with the video, younger generations still found a humor in the spoof.

Sophomore Tali Shapira, who attended high school with Gildin and Milch, had similar sentiments.

“Everything they sing about represents my hometown of Hewlett to the tee,” Shapira said. “There isn’t one detail they missed in their rap.”

Prince and Krumholz find their situation humorous.

“I’ve been approached a couple times at parties and have taken pictures with people,” Prince said. “It’s funny actually, one girl came up to me and asked if I was the guy with long flowing hair from the video… and if she could take a picture with me. It’s been a wild ride.”

Not only has “Nassau (County) State of Mind” provided Prince, Krumholz and their two friends with a one-of-a-kind experience and newfound fame, but they have also created a platform to further their careers.

“We knew [the video]would be funny and definitely a good way to show people what we can do,” Krumholz said.

More information

– Get your own “Nassau (County) State of Mind t-shirt; a percentage of the sales will benefit local Nassau charities. Log on to nassaucountystateofmind.com and pick out your favorite design.

– Want to learn more about Nash and Evan? Check out Nash’s music site (nashprince.com) and Evan’s blog (krumlife.com).

Reactions to “Nassau (County) State of Mind”

“[The parody] is a perfect portrayal of the Long Island lifestyle and it’s very entertaining. ” – Senior Dana Bornstein.

“If you’ve never been to Nassau before, then either watch this video to sum up your [trip], or go and see [the places featured in]the video in real life. I will say that if you are brave enough to enter Nassau’s own little world, you must eat at Marinara.” – Sophomore Tali Shapira.

“I first saw the video on Nash’s Facebook. I’m not from Nassau County but I have multiple friends from there so over the past four years, I’ve been hearing all the jokes and I just think it’s hilarious.” -Senior Greg Orgel.

June 12, 2011

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...