Cruise away from schooltime stress

Courtesy Discovery Cruise Line

What if I told you that you could leave in the morning on cruise to another country, explore that country, and make it back in time for “The Late Show?”  What if all of that was possible for less than $150?

Discovery Cruise Lines’ All-Inclusive Bahamas Fun Day Vacation takes passengers on a one-day cruise to Grand Bahama Island, the fourth largest island in the Bahamas. I had the opportunity to sail on the Discovery Sun and was pleasantly surprised with how much is offered. Here are some of your options for how to get the most out of your cruise experience.

First off, once you board the ship (security checks take close to an hour so arrive early), passengers are given an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet on one of the upper decks. There one would find everything from eggs to pancakes to bacon to fresh cooked-to-order omelets.

Once the ship sets sail there are plenty of things to do to keep someone occupied as they journey into international waters. The thing that will probably excite most of you college students is that your fare not only includes the breakfast and dinner buffets, but it also includes all your drinks… all day. Yes, all the alcohol you could probably ever want. Or, if you’re like me, all the Shirley Temples and Pepsis you could want.

Once you reach your final destination of Free Port on Grand Bahama Island, there are a number of options for you. If you already have an idea of where you want to go in Free Port, there are taxis at the port that you can take wherever you want to go.

If you’re like me and have no idea where on earth you’d even begin in the Bahamas, Discovery is kind enough to provide organized excursion options for your convenience (for an extra fee, of course.) I chose to go on the beach and shopping excursion which first took me to a beach resort that boasts one of the largest pools on the island (it also has a pretty sweet water slide) as well as plenty of beach options such as jet ski rentals. From there we were taken by ferry to local shops where you can see the famous Straw Markets (think Bahamian Chinatown.)

Other excursion options include a beach only trip, and a guided and narrated sight seeing tour of the city.

On the way back, you are served your included dinner buffet. You could also choose to upgrade to the gourmet Grand Bahama Grill dinner where you get your choice of an appetizer, a soup or salad, an entrée and a dessert, all for about $25 per person. The free drinks continue until you get back home and dock in Port Everglades at around 10 p.m.

So, if you’ve always wanted to see another country but figured you’d never have time, this one-day cruise is a perfect option for a unique escape in the midst of school time stress.

Editor’s Note: Discovery Cruise Line provided Jenna King’s trip free of charge.

If You Go:

FEES: Starting at $79.99 per person

SPECIALS: Sail free the month of your birthday; just pay port fees (around $40).

DIRECTIONS: porteverglades.org/directions.php

MORE INFORMATION and BOOKING: discoverycruiseline.com/home/day_cruise

June 9, 2011

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...