New dean brings experience, goals from Michigan

On August 1, Eugene “Gene” Anderson will replace both Barbara Kahn, previous dean, and Frances Aldrich Sevilla-Sacasa, interim dean, as the new dean of the School of Business Administration.

“I’m hoping I have enough swagger to keep up with you all down there,” said Anderson, who proudly purchased an orange tie for the job. “It’s a great place with terrific students and I’m very excited about taking it [the position]on,” he said.

Anderson, who said he was impressed largely by the university’s “vision, progress, and potential,” was attracted to the position after a 20-year tenure at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.

Anderson completed a bachelor’s and master’s degree in business administration at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and earned a doctorate degree in business from the University of Chicago.

At the University of Michigan, Anderson served as a professor of marketing and later as senior associate dean for academic affairs. He was also involved in the establishment of an MBA program for which he served as the first academic director. Anderson was an active participant in the creation of several joint degree programs, one of which allows MBA students to create their own track for a dual degree.

According to Thomas LeBlanc, UM’s executive vice president and provost, Anderson’s administrative experience with collaborative degree programs is one of his many major assets.

“Gene Anderson is a first-rate scholar of marketing, as well as an experienced administrator,” LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc believes that Anderson’s experience, willingness to collaborate with others, and understanding of UM’s academic goal of collaborative disciplinary programs will allow Anderson to “hit the ground running right away.”

“I hope to help students find the learning opportunities they are looking for to achieve full time employment,” Anderson said.

Still, Anderson admits that it is unwise to make changes right away “especially as the new man on campus.” He would like to meet more students and fully understand the campus before presenting any new ideas.

LeBlanc is assured that Anderson will improve the School of Business Administration for its students and suggests that students “welcome him warmly and with enthusiasm.”

June 8, 2011

Chloe Herring

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...