New dean brings experience, goals from Michigan

On August 1, Eugene “Gene” Anderson will replace both Barbara Kahn, previous dean, and Frances Aldrich Sevilla-Sacasa, interim dean, as the new dean of the School of Business Administration.

“I’m hoping I have enough swagger to keep up with you all down there,” said Anderson, who proudly purchased an orange tie for the job. “It’s a great place with terrific students and I’m very excited about taking it [the position]on,” he said.

Anderson, who said he was impressed largely by the university’s “vision, progress, and potential,” was attracted to the position after a 20-year tenure at the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.

Anderson completed a bachelor’s and master’s degree in business administration at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and earned a doctorate degree in business from the University of Chicago.

At the University of Michigan, Anderson served as a professor of marketing and later as senior associate dean for academic affairs. He was also involved in the establishment of an MBA program for which he served as the first academic director. Anderson was an active participant in the creation of several joint degree programs, one of which allows MBA students to create their own track for a dual degree.

According to Thomas LeBlanc, UM’s executive vice president and provost, Anderson’s administrative experience with collaborative degree programs is one of his many major assets.

“Gene Anderson is a first-rate scholar of marketing, as well as an experienced administrator,” LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc believes that Anderson’s experience, willingness to collaborate with others, and understanding of UM’s academic goal of collaborative disciplinary programs will allow Anderson to “hit the ground running right away.”

“I hope to help students find the learning opportunities they are looking for to achieve full time employment,” Anderson said.

Still, Anderson admits that it is unwise to make changes right away “especially as the new man on campus.” He would like to meet more students and fully understand the campus before presenting any new ideas.

LeBlanc is assured that Anderson will improve the School of Business Administration for its students and suggests that students “welcome him warmly and with enthusiasm.”

June 8, 2011

Chloe Herring

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...