Shawn Eichorst named Miami’s new athletic director

The search for a new athletic director has come to an end.

The University of Miami announced  that Shawn Eichorst has agreed to terms to take over the position that was left vacant by Kirby Hocutt’s departure in late February.

“Shawn Eichorst has the skills, experience, and philosophy to elevate UM athletics and exceed our highest expectations,” said University of Miami President Donna Shalala in a released statement.

Eichorst was formerly the deputy athletic director at the University of Wisconsin, where he served in that position since 2009. He has also previously worked as the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Administration from 2004-2006 at the University of South Carolina, working directly with coaches such as Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, and Ray Tanner.

“Under President Donna Shalala’s great vision, passion and leadership, the University of Miami has quickly developed into not only the best institution in the state of Florida, but one of the top research universities in the United States,” said Eichorst.  “The success of our student-athletes – academically, athletically and socially – will always be our foremost objective and I am looking forward to working collaboratively with our coaches, staff, student-athletes, campus administration, faculty, board of trustees, donors, alumni, fans and community members to realize our full potential.”

Following the departure of Hocutt, the athletic department had originally announced that they had intended to announce the hiring of a new athletic director in time for the beginning of the fall semester. However, with the departure of former basketball head coach Frank Haith, the University made the hire earlier than intended in order to assist in the hiring of a new coach.

Eichorst led the search for the new basketball head coach, and came to terms with George Mason’s Jim Larranaga just 10 days after his hiring. The signing went down as the first major move under Eichorst.

June 5, 2011

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...