Rags-to-riches club takes home championship

The University of Miami’s roller hockey club won the Division II Collegiate Roller Hockey Championships, defeating Florida Gulf Coast 4-3.

“I cant believe we did it,” club president Alex Lopez said. “It’s just amazing. I really can’t even put it into words how amazing it is to bring a national championship to your school. Unbelievable.”

The tournament took place from April 6-10 in Middleton, Wisc. The team fundraised and paid its own way to nationals. An ice hockey game against FIU was a part of these efforts. Miami won that contest 11-3 in front of a crowd of over 400.

The story of the roller hockey club is a true rags-to-riches tale.

“We had no equipment, our jerseys were a joke, the future of the club was in jeopardy,” Lopez said of the club’s status when he and captain Brad Armas took control two years ago.

The two started from scratch, meeting with Rhonda DuBord, the associate director of club sports, for hours on end to try and save the club. Their hard work paid off, as the club was named “Most Improved Club” at the Club Sports Awards Banquet last spring.

This season started out in mediocre fashion with a record of 9-9-2. From there, however, the team went on to win seven straight games on the road to the national championship.

“We just peaked at the right time, played our best hockey at the right time,” Lopez said. “All of the little things that we were doing wrong throughout the season that were costing us games, we just out of nowhere stopped doing them, did everything the right way and played the best seven games of hockey that we’ve played in our club’s history.”

At nationals, the Canes first faced off against UC Berkeley and East Carolina, winning 5-1 and 7-4, respectively. Their win against Bethel University in the semifinals was a bittersweet moment, with Jake Shuman scoring the winning goal. Shuman and his brother Josh, who is also on the team, lost their mother over spring break in a shooting incident.

Miami was 2-2 in the past against Florida Gulf Coast, but got the upper hand in the finals to take home the trophy.

“It was just ecstasy,” Armas said. “We got to where I thought we were going to be. Where we should be, rather. It’s been a fantastic high. It’s just been a wonderful experience, and I’m glad to have reached the point where I’ve seen the club go.”

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com

June 5, 2011

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...