Legendary Hurricane returns to the sideline

There are many people out there who say they love football, but no one means it like Art Kehoe.

“I loved football from the first time I did it,” said the Pennsylvania native who has returned as the Hurricanes’ offensive line coach.

It all started in his hometown of Conshohocken with a youth team called the “Conshohocken Midgets.” As the son of a former football player and a cheerleader, it was only a matter of time until he would discover his passion for the sport.

“My mom signed me up for football when I was 7 or 8 and it was embarrassing because I didn’t even know how to get dressed and put on the pads,” Kehoe said. “[My mom] taught me how to do all that stuff.”

While the beginnings might have been humbling, Kehoe soon started to do what he would continue to do all his life: win.

“I think I played six years in that league and we won a championship four times,” he said. “We finished second the other two times.”

Kehoe attributed that success to the coaches he had during his early life.

“The coaching was fabulous, just basics of discipline and being on time, about doing your stretches as a team and caring about your teammates,” he said. “I learned those lessons from my father and mother and my coaches early in life. I think that’s the biggest thing that steered me toward coaching because I liked football and I liked the hitting aspect of it and I was coached really well at an early age and we won all the damn time.”

There is no doubt that Kehoe is a winner; after all, five national championships are no accident. Kehoe is a competitor at heart in everything he does. He may always be competing against another defensive line coach across the field during a game, but Kehoe has faced competition his whole career.

Before Kehoe came to the University of Miami as a transfer in 1979, he played football at Laney Junior College in Oakland, Calif. Even then, Kehoe knew when to seize an opportunity and how to fight for a dream. The undersized nose guard did not hesitate a bit when Miami was looking for players at that position. He sent his playing tapes to the UM coaching staff and described himself as 6 feet 2 inches and 250 pounds when he really was 6 feet and 230 pounds.

June 5, 2011

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...