Legendary Hurricane returns to the sideline

There are many people out there who say they love football, but no one means it like Art Kehoe.

“I loved football from the first time I did it,” said the Pennsylvania native who has returned as the Hurricanes’ offensive line coach.

It all started in his hometown of Conshohocken with a youth team called the “Conshohocken Midgets.” As the son of a former football player and a cheerleader, it was only a matter of time until he would discover his passion for the sport.

“My mom signed me up for football when I was 7 or 8 and it was embarrassing because I didn’t even know how to get dressed and put on the pads,” Kehoe said. “[My mom] taught me how to do all that stuff.”

While the beginnings might have been humbling, Kehoe soon started to do what he would continue to do all his life: win.

“I think I played six years in that league and we won a championship four times,” he said. “We finished second the other two times.”

Kehoe attributed that success to the coaches he had during his early life.

“The coaching was fabulous, just basics of discipline and being on time, about doing your stretches as a team and caring about your teammates,” he said. “I learned those lessons from my father and mother and my coaches early in life. I think that’s the biggest thing that steered me toward coaching because I liked football and I liked the hitting aspect of it and I was coached really well at an early age and we won all the damn time.”

There is no doubt that Kehoe is a winner; after all, five national championships are no accident. Kehoe is a competitor at heart in everything he does. He may always be competing against another defensive line coach across the field during a game, but Kehoe has faced competition his whole career.

Before Kehoe came to the University of Miami as a transfer in 1979, he played football at Laney Junior College in Oakland, Calif. Even then, Kehoe knew when to seize an opportunity and how to fight for a dream. The undersized nose guard did not hesitate a bit when Miami was looking for players at that position. He sent his playing tapes to the UM coaching staff and described himself as 6 feet 2 inches and 250 pounds when he really was 6 feet and 230 pounds.

June 5, 2011

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...