Renowned on-campus music festival kicks off

Courtesy Frost Music School

This fall, the Frost School of Music will host its annual concert series, Festival Miami, which brings an eclectic mixture of style, culture and world-class talent to the University of Miami campus.

Festival Miami presents about 20 concerts in the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall and the Victor E. Clarke Recital Hall that features styles ranging from Latin, pop and Motown to classical, jazz and bluegrass.

Every year, artists come from across the world to perform, as well from within UM’s own Frost School of Music faculty and students. Many of the performers also held master classes available for any student to attend.

“For students, they get to roll out of bed, walk across campus and see a world-class concert,” said Shelly Berg, dean of the Frost School of Music, adding that many of the concerts are free or discounted for students.

Students enjoy Festival Miami because of the diverse talent.

“[One visiting composer] has his masters from Julliard, is the composer in residence for the Chicago Symphony and works a night job as a DJ,” Mulligan said about Mason Bates, a performer at last year’s Festival Miami.

Other artists at Festival Miami 2010 included a Grammy Award-winning folk violinist, a long-established South Florida dance company, a composer/guitarist for feature film scores and the writer of 54 No. 1 Motown hits for artists such as The Supremes and Marvin Gaye.

Traditionally, Festival Miami has brought a wide variety of musical styles and talents to UM.

“There’s a little bit of everything for everyone,” said Mariane Mijares, director of events for the Frost School of Music.

The concert series, which has run annually since 1984 and has brought hundreds of renowned performers to the UM campus, takes over a year to plan and is programmed by faculty from every department in the Frost School. This year, Festival Miami will take place October 1-November 4.

Currently scheduled acts for Festival Miami 2011 include Grammy award-winning Latin singer Willy Chirino, wind quintet Imani Winds, Miami-based band Suenalo, jazz singer-songwriter Livingston Taylor and the U.S. Marine Corp Band.

June 1, 2011

David Sargent

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...