Scholarship encourages acceptance

A new scholarship through the International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) office has been created with preference for gay and lesbian students.

The Lawrence R. Hyer/Edward Pascoe Study Abroad Scholarship, named after its donors, will provide funds for students who intend to study abroad for a semester or a year on a UM program.

The donors requested that preference being given to self-identified gay and lesbian applicants. It is not clear from the application form if  preference is also given to others in the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community.

The scholarship is offered for up to $2,500 to study abroad for a year or semester and requires an application and interview process.

“It’s a vote of confidence in students who receive the scholarship,” said Edward Pascoe, one of the donors.

Pascoe studied abroad himself for a year in Rome during his undergraduate study and said it was “one of the most impactful experiences” of his college years. This is the second study abroad scholarship named after Pascoe, the first being offered to residents of Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties.

“[Studying abroad] broadens people, makes them more liberal, tolerant and accepting, something of great importance today,” Pascoe said.

Lawrence Hyer, the other donor, did not study abroad himself,  but sees the value of doing so.

“Students can come back to Miami and be a better citizen,” Hyer said. “It is an opportunity that can have a real influence on the study abroad recipient.”

Student interest regarding the scholarship is building, though not everyone is pleased with the idea.

“Why should any student be offered preference for a scholarship based on any fact other than merit or financial need?” senior Heath Saunders asked.

Paige Giusfredi, president of SpectrUM, thinks the scholarship is a great idea.

“It helps to reaffirm that the university supports all minorities,” Giusfredi said. “This is especially important at a time where GLBT rights aren’t often guaranteed or even respected.”

May 24, 2011

Ryan Aquilina

Letter to the Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...