Letter from Brandon Mitchell, SG president

Fellow Canes,

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the University of Miami. You are about to embark on the journey of a lifetime and there is no place better to do that than here at the U.

The University of Miami is unique. We have the feeling of an intimate campus, yet we are only 15 minutes away from one of the most robust, diverse cities in the country. We’ve risen almost 20 spots in the college rankings in the past 10 years — an unprecedented rise — and we don’t plan to stop any time soon. Not only do Canes excel in the classroom, but there are countless opportunities to excel in the community and athletically. The U has a legacy and tradition of success, and now you are a part of it. Now is the time for you to start making your own legacy at the University of Miami.

Your first few weeks are going to be packed with excitement and a ton of things to do. Go to Canefest! There, you can check out the hundreds of student organizations you can be a part of. Visit the newly expanded Wellness Center — one of the best wellness facilities in the country. Go to Sunset Place and Coconut Grove and explore the “City Beautiful,” Coral Gables, that surrounds our campus. And, of course, your first football game as a Hurricane is Sept. 17 against one of our biggest rivals, Ohio State. Will U be there?

Lastly, I want to remind you that Student Government is here for you! That free laundry you’ll learn to love in the residential colleges? Student Government. The Farmers Market every Wednesday by the library and the ICEE Machine in the C-Store? Both came from Student Government. Everything Student Government does is for the students and for the U. So if you ever have any questions, problems or ideas, we’re here. Never hesitate to email me at b.mitchell@umiami.edu or to just stop by to chat in UC214.

Congratulations again and most importantly, remember that whatever you do over the next four years, whatever career you enter and wherever your life takes you, you are now and forever will be a Miami Hurricane… and it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane!

Go Canes!

Brandon Mitchell, Student Body President

May 20, 2011

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...