UM responds to devastating earthquake in Abruzzo

Institutional and Community Serviceman Amedeo Pomenti, Guido D’Urbano, UM professor Manuel Garcia-Rossi, and Giovanna Di Lello discuss government policy, the destruction from the earthquake, University of L’Aquila and UM relations. L'Aquila is the capitol of Abruzzo, Italy which was hit hardest by the earthquake of 2009. Courtesy Alanna Zunski.

During the winter intersession, 10 students studying intermediate Italian traveled to the region of Abruzzo, Italy to meet government officials and act as ambassadors for the University of Miami.

In 2009, the Abruzzo region experienced a devastating earthquake. The earthquake wrought destruction, left more than 300 people dead and many others injured or homeless. Before the earthquake, UM offered a study abroad program in the region at the University of L’Aquila.

“This trip to Abruzzo was a perfect opportunity for our Italian students to see first-hand the diverse cultures and people found within the beautiful country of Italy,” said Manuel Garcia-Rossi, UM Italian professor.

Because of their relationship with UM, the University of L’Aquila called on the Miami community for help after the earthquake. Many L’Aquila students were left with no place to live or attend school after the disaster. UM took in many of the L’Aquila students free of charge, allowed them to continue their studies and provided classes for them to learn English.

In return for their help the government gave 10 UM students the opportunity to visit the Abruzzo region for free to learn about the culture and see the damage caused by the earthquake.

“My classmates and I were stunned by the level of damage from the earthquake,” junior Elizabeth Tauben said. “We didn’t realize the magnitude of the destruction until seeing it in person. It was overwhelmingly sad.”

In Abruzzo, UM students were able to improve their Italian by immersing themselves in the culture of a region nearly undiscovered by foreign tourists.

“The trip inspired me to expand my knowledge of Italian foreign policy and government as well as my knowledge of the language,” Tauben said.

Garcia-Rossi hopes that another group of Italian students will experience the Italian region in the future because the trip “brought to life what was learned in their textbooks.”

May 5, 2011

Alanna Zunski

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...