Sweating it out with yoga at UM

Senior and Bikram Yoga Club President Carl Gardner poses with Charlotte Wyrick, a freshman studying nursing, near Lake Osceola Wednesday. Bikram is a technique that uses heat to stretch the body and calm the mind. Marlena Skrobe// Photoeditor

UM senior Carl Gardner was an ultimate tri-athlete until he hurt his knees. Luckily, he found a hot new way to exercise.

Gardner started the UM Bikram Yoga Club last fall after suffering multiple knee injuries from running. He no longer has to worry about the impact to his knees while running on pavement and Bikram has improved his flexibility and breathing.

“After running for so many years, my knees finally gave in,” Gardner said. “I needed to find an alternative route to exercise and Bikram was the perfect fit.”

Bikram is a yoga technique practiced in a a room that is at least 105 degrees Fahrenheit. The average Bikram yoga routine takes about 90 minutes.

Although it may seem a little extreme, UM club members like to increase the heat.

“Sweating is good in this practice,” said Edith Freni, the club’s faculty adviser and a lecturer in the theater arts program. “We like it at least 105 degrees if not more.”

The heat is important because it makes the body soft and flexible. Also, when you sweat, impurities are flushed out of the body through the skin. Bikram devotees say it can have positive effects on the mind.

“Yoga actually becomes addicting,” junior Meaghan Gayner said. “I think the reason why people love it so much is because of the way you feel after. I feel totally calm and ready to take on any challenge that lies ahead.”

Gayner and other members of the club meet several times a week at Bikram Hot Yoga Miami in Coconut Grove. There are currently 30 members who participate in the club.

For more information log on to miamibikram.com.

May 3, 2011

Brittany Weiner

Contributing Sports Writer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...