New sorority founded on culture, friendship

Five best friends, two years and lots of determination.

That’s what it took for the founding sisters of Delta Phi Omega (DPO) to establish a chapter of the national South Asian sorority at the university.

The girls, with backgrounds from Bangladesh, India and other South Asian countries, became best friends while living together in Stanford Residential College. Proud and tied to their cultural backgrounds, they recognized a void at the university for South Asian culture.

“There was no organization we could call our own,” DPO Vice President Mashail Manzur said.

But then they stumbled upon Delta Phi Omega.

“We met sisters from other chapters in Florida and decided we wanted to start our own chapter here,” President Nisha Chowdhury said. “It was something that we could take pride in.”

DPO was first founded in 1998 at the University of Houston and his since grown to more than 30 chapters nationwide. The sorority strives to foster unity among South Asian women, build community awareness and gain a greater understanding of oneself and others by instilling strong leadership traits and emphasizing high academic performance. It is founded on the five pillars of sisterhood, respect, loyalty, honesty and friendship.

The girls began establishing the Miami chapter in the spring of 2009. It was officially recognized this March and now falls under the Multiethnic Greek Council. But their work is far from complete.

The founding members are all juniors with tough course loads, four of the sisters are pre-med and the fifth is pre-law. So their goal for next year is to “recruit, recruit, recruit” to ensure that their hard work doesn’t go to waste.

“DPO has a name among South Asian women and we see the interest here already,” said Chowdhury. “We know our membership will grow.”

The sorority gives members an opportunity to make social connections, learn about South Asian culture and contribute philanthropically. But the girls stress that members don’t have to be of South Asian descent to be a part of the sorority.

All first-generation Americans, these sisters hope to find a blend between their South Asian backgrounds and American culture through DPO. And one of their biggest obstacles was convincing their parents that “going Greek” wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.

“Initially our parents had reservations about it because sometimes ‘Greek’ has a negative connotation to it,” Chowdhury said. “But now that they see how close we’ve all become and the relationships we’re creating, they’re okay with it.”

Greek life is about making friendships that last and building a support system. Delta Phi Omega just adds a South Asian twist to the friendships and the camaraderie.

May 3, 2011

Heather Carney

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...