Celebration of tradition brings students together

CALL IT A COMEBACK: Ms. Lauryn Hill returns from a 10-year hiatus to perform Saturday at the Homecoming concert on the green. Ms. Hill was the headlining act and followed Atlanta rapper Donnis. The concert was just one of many events that marked the University of Miami’s 2010 Homecoming week. Adrianne D'Angelo // Photo Editor

With a dimly lit candle in one hand and a waving finger raised high across the air, hundreds gathered around Lake Osceola on the night of Nov. 5 for a tranquil hymn of the alma mater, a symbolic tradition defining Homecoming celebrations. This tradition is only one of many that devoted Hurricanes practice year after year.

Under the cue of President Donna E. Shalala and Sebastian the Ibis, fireworks framed the skyline of the Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges, a view that was coupled by the sounds of the Band of the Hour and the chants of Hurricane cheerleaders and Sunsations.

Sights and sounds, however, were not the only memorable part of Homecoming. The smell of burning wood and ignited scent was a call for Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, to initiate new members and recognize those who share a love of alma mater.

According to sophomore Stephanie Coradin, Homecoming is an annual festival of love of alma mater and celebration of the university’s competitive nature.

“It’s a reminder of the privilege and opportunity of being a student here and it’s just so exciting and awesome to see everyone come together and represent the spirit of the U,” she said.

A sense of pride and satisfaction filled those who trekked across the Coral Gables campus as participants in the annual Homecoming parade, a showcase of floats that hardworking student organizations laboriously constructed.

“The Homecoming parade can be a daunting task. But seeing all the hard work you’ve done come alive before your eyes is something I’ll never forget,” said Aaron Esman, the parade committee co-chair for last year’s Homecoming Executive Committee.

After a performance by Donnis, students patiently awaited the arrival of this year’s Homecoming headliner, Ms. Lauryn Hill.

Ms. Hill stepped onto the stage and quickly demanded the attention of her audience by shouting, “Energy! Energy! Energy!”

Although the cold breeze upon the university green made it difficult to raise energy, a majority of students stayed for the entire performance.

The evening was followed by a successful win against Maryland Nov. 6, a win that perhaps recaptured the faith and commitment of Hurricane fans that may have felt disillusioned by previous football losses.

“Homecoming is special to me,” said sophomore Nawara Alawa. “It’s a time where all the UM community comes together, and we can all bleed orange and green.”

May 3, 2011

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...