Celebration of tradition brings students together

CALL IT A COMEBACK: Ms. Lauryn Hill returns from a 10-year hiatus to perform Saturday at the Homecoming concert on the green. Ms. Hill was the headlining act and followed Atlanta rapper Donnis. The concert was just one of many events that marked the University of Miami’s 2010 Homecoming week. Adrianne D'Angelo // Photo Editor

With a dimly lit candle in one hand and a waving finger raised high across the air, hundreds gathered around Lake Osceola on the night of Nov. 5 for a tranquil hymn of the alma mater, a symbolic tradition defining Homecoming celebrations. This tradition is only one of many that devoted Hurricanes practice year after year.

Under the cue of President Donna E. Shalala and Sebastian the Ibis, fireworks framed the skyline of the Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges, a view that was coupled by the sounds of the Band of the Hour and the chants of Hurricane cheerleaders and Sunsations.

Sights and sounds, however, were not the only memorable part of Homecoming. The smell of burning wood and ignited scent was a call for Iron Arrow, UM’s highest honor, to initiate new members and recognize those who share a love of alma mater.

According to sophomore Stephanie Coradin, Homecoming is an annual festival of love of alma mater and celebration of the university’s competitive nature.

“It’s a reminder of the privilege and opportunity of being a student here and it’s just so exciting and awesome to see everyone come together and represent the spirit of the U,” she said.

A sense of pride and satisfaction filled those who trekked across the Coral Gables campus as participants in the annual Homecoming parade, a showcase of floats that hardworking student organizations laboriously constructed.

“The Homecoming parade can be a daunting task. But seeing all the hard work you’ve done come alive before your eyes is something I’ll never forget,” said Aaron Esman, the parade committee co-chair for last year’s Homecoming Executive Committee.

After a performance by Donnis, students patiently awaited the arrival of this year’s Homecoming headliner, Ms. Lauryn Hill.

Ms. Hill stepped onto the stage and quickly demanded the attention of her audience by shouting, “Energy! Energy! Energy!”

Although the cold breeze upon the university green made it difficult to raise energy, a majority of students stayed for the entire performance.

The evening was followed by a successful win against Maryland Nov. 6, a win that perhaps recaptured the faith and commitment of Hurricane fans that may have felt disillusioned by previous football losses.

“Homecoming is special to me,” said sophomore Nawara Alawa. “It’s a time where all the UM community comes together, and we can all bleed orange and green.”

May 3, 2011

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...