Commencement speakers announced

Between May 12-14, nearly 3,500 students will make the transition from students to alumni at the commencement ceremonies at the BankUnited Center. This year’s speakers for the undergraduate ceremonies are accomplished professionals who will bring years of experience and words of wisdom to new graduates. Here are the speakers for each ceremony.

Business Administration and Engineering: Admiral James Stavridis

Admiral James Stavridis is a 1976 distinguished graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and a native of South Florida. He is a career surface warfare officer and served at sea in carriers, cruisers and destroyers. He assumed duties as Commander of European Command and as Supreme Allied Commander, Europe in early summer 2009. He holds various decorations and awards, including two awards of the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal and five awards of the Legion of Merit.

Architecture, Communication, Education, Music and Nursing: Robert Stern

Robert Stern, Dean of the Yale School of Architecture, is a writer, teacher and practicing architect. His work is generally classified as postmodern, and may have been the first architect to use the term “postmodernism.” His work has landed him the is the 2011 Driehaus Prize laureate award, the American Institute of Architects New York Chapter’s Medal of Honor in 1984 and the Chapter’s President’s Award in 2001. He has lectured extensively in the United States and abroad and is the author of several books. As founder and Senior Partner of Robert A.M. Stern Architects, he directs the design of each of the firm’s projects. He will be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Arts & Sciences and RSMAS: Sherry Lansing

After nearly 30 years in the film industry, Sherry Lansing has many titles under her belt. These include: actress, former CEO of Paramount Pictures, first woman to head a Hollywood studio as former president of production at 20th Century Fox. Lansing has been involved in the production, marketing and distribution of more than 200 films, including Academy Award winners Forrest Gump (1994), Braveheart (1995) and Titanic (1997). In 1996 she was the first woman studio head to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She will also be receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Human Letters at the commencement ceremony.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:

Undergraduate ceremonies will take place May 13.

8:30 a.m.: School of Business Administration and College of Engineering

12:30 p.m.: School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies

5 p.m.: College of Arts and Sciences and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science

For more information on commencement, visit miami.edu/commencement, where the undergraduate ceremonies will be webcast live.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...