Band breaks barriers by merging cultures

Courtesy J.C. Mendez

When living in Miami it’s almost mandatory that everyone partake in a Hispanic culture of some sort. Though the Salsa and Merengue Clubs, Latin American restaurants and “cafesitos” are great, there is nothing quite like experiencing a fusion of the Hispanic heritage mixed with our very own American culture.

So, what do you get when you mix American music with Spanish lyrics? Avenida Zero, a fairly new Miami rock band that’s paving its way as one of the hottest local bands in South Florida.

The band, founded a mere six months ago, consists of Cuban-American Singer Lisa Abreu, Cuban bassist Raydel Fernandez and Uruguayan drummer Gabriel Beltran.

The four came together in late October to begin strategizing a creative way to make their dreams a reality. Their solution? To revolutionize the Spanish rock market by incorporating an American sound never heard before.

The band soon began working incessantly. Six out of seven days a week, they gathered together in Noriega’s studio at around 10 p.m. to collaborate, often working the whole night through.

Three months and several sleepless nights later, they created what they describe as a “fire” self-titled EP, Avenida Zero, that is sure to take the Americas by storm.

The sample album, consisting of six songs, has defined itself as the perfect post-break up album, walking the audience through what have proved to be the universal steps to moving on- pain, anger, resentment, shame, self-blame, apathy, acceptance and self-discovery.

And though the album is in Spanish, Abreu pours her heart and soul into these songs, transcending language barriers and delivering the powerful message of independence, self-reliance and female perseverance.

For more information on Avenida Zero, including samples of their music, shows and pictures, follow the band on Facebook.com/AvenidaZero and Twitter.com/AvenidaZeroBand.

Edyna Garcia may be contacted at egarcia@themiamihurricane.com.

Edyna Garcia

Contributing EDGE Writer

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...