Think before you sign the lease

As we draw closer and closer to the end of another semester, all students go through the same dilemma. No, not whether to get a color, full-back tattoo of Donna Shalala throwing up the U, or if you should stomach eating at Charty’s ever again, but rather where to live next year! The big decision is whether or not to live on campus, and each side of the decision has its own arguments.

I’ve met kids who swear by the fact that living on or near campus, like the dorms, Red Road or University Inn, is the best decision they’ve made. The ability to wake up 10 minutes before your class is scheduled to start, roll out of bed, jump in the shower, walk out the door and still make it to your class on time is certainly advantageous, especially for those 8 a.m. tortur… I mean classes.

Eating at the on-campus dining halls might not have the same culinary appeal as going out to eat, but always having a full, hot meal where you don’t have to pay tax or tip just downstairs is something too many people take for granted. I will admit, I lived in Eaton and Pearson during my first two years of school, and had some hilarious memories. Tip for living in the dorms: Never try to keep or breed animals in your suitemates’ room. True story.

Living off campus is a transition all students must go through at some point during their time at school. Miami is a vast diverse city, with each distinct area having its own cultural background and unique aspects.

Coconut Grove has abundant housing, all within walking distance of the dozens of bars and restaurants that define the area.

Brickell is a 15-minute drive down U.S. 1, but puts you right on the edge of downtown Miami’s lavish lifestyle and Key Biscayne’s sandy beaches. I made the choice to live there with a friend this year, and have enjoyed every second of it.

Whether you decide the dorms are where you are comfortable or that a skyline apartment suits you best, there are many factors you have to consider when deciding where to live. Cost, distance from classes, available resources, proximity to supermarkets or convenience stores and number of roommates are all facets to consider when choosing a place. These four years of undergrad fly by, so find a place where you’ll feel comfortable and can enjoy your time here at the University of Miami.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Evan Peskin Staff Columnist

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...