Think before you sign the lease

As we draw closer and closer to the end of another semester, all students go through the same dilemma. No, not whether to get a color, full-back tattoo of Donna Shalala throwing up the U, or if you should stomach eating at Charty’s ever again, but rather where to live next year! The big decision is whether or not to live on campus, and each side of the decision has its own arguments.

I’ve met kids who swear by the fact that living on or near campus, like the dorms, Red Road or University Inn, is the best decision they’ve made. The ability to wake up 10 minutes before your class is scheduled to start, roll out of bed, jump in the shower, walk out the door and still make it to your class on time is certainly advantageous, especially for those 8 a.m. tortur… I mean classes.

Eating at the on-campus dining halls might not have the same culinary appeal as going out to eat, but always having a full, hot meal where you don’t have to pay tax or tip just downstairs is something too many people take for granted. I will admit, I lived in Eaton and Pearson during my first two years of school, and had some hilarious memories. Tip for living in the dorms: Never try to keep or breed animals in your suitemates’ room. True story.

Living off campus is a transition all students must go through at some point during their time at school. Miami is a vast diverse city, with each distinct area having its own cultural background and unique aspects.

Coconut Grove has abundant housing, all within walking distance of the dozens of bars and restaurants that define the area.

Brickell is a 15-minute drive down U.S. 1, but puts you right on the edge of downtown Miami’s lavish lifestyle and Key Biscayne’s sandy beaches. I made the choice to live there with a friend this year, and have enjoyed every second of it.

Whether you decide the dorms are where you are comfortable or that a skyline apartment suits you best, there are many factors you have to consider when deciding where to live. Cost, distance from classes, available resources, proximity to supermarkets or convenience stores and number of roommates are all facets to consider when choosing a place. These four years of undergrad fly by, so find a place where you’ll feel comfortable and can enjoy your time here at the University of Miami.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...