Think before you sign the lease

As we draw closer and closer to the end of another semester, all students go through the same dilemma. No, not whether to get a color, full-back tattoo of Donna Shalala throwing up the U, or if you should stomach eating at Charty’s ever again, but rather where to live next year! The big decision is whether or not to live on campus, and each side of the decision has its own arguments.

I’ve met kids who swear by the fact that living on or near campus, like the dorms, Red Road or University Inn, is the best decision they’ve made. The ability to wake up 10 minutes before your class is scheduled to start, roll out of bed, jump in the shower, walk out the door and still make it to your class on time is certainly advantageous, especially for those 8 a.m. tortur… I mean classes.

Eating at the on-campus dining halls might not have the same culinary appeal as going out to eat, but always having a full, hot meal where you don’t have to pay tax or tip just downstairs is something too many people take for granted. I will admit, I lived in Eaton and Pearson during my first two years of school, and had some hilarious memories. Tip for living in the dorms: Never try to keep or breed animals in your suitemates’ room. True story.

Living off campus is a transition all students must go through at some point during their time at school. Miami is a vast diverse city, with each distinct area having its own cultural background and unique aspects.

Coconut Grove has abundant housing, all within walking distance of the dozens of bars and restaurants that define the area.

Brickell is a 15-minute drive down U.S. 1, but puts you right on the edge of downtown Miami’s lavish lifestyle and Key Biscayne’s sandy beaches. I made the choice to live there with a friend this year, and have enjoyed every second of it.

Whether you decide the dorms are where you are comfortable or that a skyline apartment suits you best, there are many factors you have to consider when deciding where to live. Cost, distance from classes, available resources, proximity to supermarkets or convenience stores and number of roommates are all facets to consider when choosing a place. These four years of undergrad fly by, so find a place where you’ll feel comfortable and can enjoy your time here at the University of Miami.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...