Sports briefs 4/28

GOLF

Senior Maria Ronderos has been selected to participate as an individual in the 2011 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf East Regional in Daytona Beach, Fla. Having shot the fourth-lowest stroke average in school history, Ronderos is the first Hurricane to qualify as an individual for regionals since 2003. The competition takes place from May 5-7.

Women’s Tennis

Last Saturday, the Hurricanes were eliminated from the ACC Championships in the semifinal round, losing 4-2 to North Carolina. Senior Bianca Eickhorn set a new school record for career singles victories (132), winning the first point for Miami in the No. 1 singles position. Eickhorn has been named ACC Player of the Year. The Canes next compete in the NCAA Championship Tournament, beginning on May 13.

Track and Field

At the ACC Championships last Saturday, UM earned several individual titles. Ti’erra Brown won the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.94 seconds, and Devon Hill won the 110m hurdles with a time of 13.66 seconds. Megan Novinger earned All-ACC honors, placing third in the high jump. Overall, the women finished in sixth place, and the men in ninth. Miami next competes in the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania on April 28-30.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...