Sports briefs 4/28

GOLF

Senior Maria Ronderos has been selected to participate as an individual in the 2011 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf East Regional in Daytona Beach, Fla. Having shot the fourth-lowest stroke average in school history, Ronderos is the first Hurricane to qualify as an individual for regionals since 2003. The competition takes place from May 5-7.

Women’s Tennis

Last Saturday, the Hurricanes were eliminated from the ACC Championships in the semifinal round, losing 4-2 to North Carolina. Senior Bianca Eickhorn set a new school record for career singles victories (132), winning the first point for Miami in the No. 1 singles position. Eickhorn has been named ACC Player of the Year. The Canes next compete in the NCAA Championship Tournament, beginning on May 13.

Track and Field

At the ACC Championships last Saturday, UM earned several individual titles. Ti’erra Brown won the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.94 seconds, and Devon Hill won the 110m hurdles with a time of 13.66 seconds. Megan Novinger earned All-ACC honors, placing third in the high jump. Overall, the women finished in sixth place, and the men in ninth. Miami next competes in the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania on April 28-30.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...