Sports briefs 4/28

GOLF

Senior Maria Ronderos has been selected to participate as an individual in the 2011 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf East Regional in Daytona Beach, Fla. Having shot the fourth-lowest stroke average in school history, Ronderos is the first Hurricane to qualify as an individual for regionals since 2003. The competition takes place from May 5-7.

Women’s Tennis

Last Saturday, the Hurricanes were eliminated from the ACC Championships in the semifinal round, losing 4-2 to North Carolina. Senior Bianca Eickhorn set a new school record for career singles victories (132), winning the first point for Miami in the No. 1 singles position. Eickhorn has been named ACC Player of the Year. The Canes next compete in the NCAA Championship Tournament, beginning on May 13.

Track and Field

At the ACC Championships last Saturday, UM earned several individual titles. Ti’erra Brown won the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.94 seconds, and Devon Hill won the 110m hurdles with a time of 13.66 seconds. Megan Novinger earned All-ACC honors, placing third in the high jump. Overall, the women finished in sixth place, and the men in ninth. Miami next competes in the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania on April 28-30.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...