Sports briefs 4/28

GOLF

Senior Maria Ronderos has been selected to participate as an individual in the 2011 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf East Regional in Daytona Beach, Fla. Having shot the fourth-lowest stroke average in school history, Ronderos is the first Hurricane to qualify as an individual for regionals since 2003. The competition takes place from May 5-7.

Women’s Tennis

Last Saturday, the Hurricanes were eliminated from the ACC Championships in the semifinal round, losing 4-2 to North Carolina. Senior Bianca Eickhorn set a new school record for career singles victories (132), winning the first point for Miami in the No. 1 singles position. Eickhorn has been named ACC Player of the Year. The Canes next compete in the NCAA Championship Tournament, beginning on May 13.

Track and Field

At the ACC Championships last Saturday, UM earned several individual titles. Ti’erra Brown won the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.94 seconds, and Devon Hill won the 110m hurdles with a time of 13.66 seconds. Megan Novinger earned All-ACC honors, placing third in the high jump. Overall, the women finished in sixth place, and the men in ninth. Miami next competes in the Penn Relays at the University of Pennsylvania on April 28-30.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...