Meanies in Miami need to learn their manners

It is a truth universally acknowledged that teenagers today don’t know how to act properly. It seems that just as time sheds pounds off electronics by making them more compact and advanced, time also trims down on people’s politeness.

What happened to the days of writing thank you cards to those who demonstrated random acts of kindness? Or to the days when people were simply polite to each other?

In a city teeming with diversity, a lack of a standard of etiquette may be the reason why people are so downright rude. Days when traits such as kindness and properness were king and queen, such as those displayed in Jane Austen’s novels, are long gone.

Miami was rated No. 4 rudest city in America by Travel + Leisure Magazine this year, so it’s no surprise that the city runs amuck with rude people.

Recently, I had a conversation with a person who was distributing propaganda. Without being asked for permission, a neighboring person pointed a video camera at me. I was deeply insulted that a stranger believed to have the inherent permission to simply record my ordinary conversation.

Perhaps I was simply born in the wrong era, but it’s time people start considering more politeness when interacting with others. Surely, there has to be some sort of code of etiquette taught around the world, and it’s time people start abiding by it.

Stephanie Parra is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science. She may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...