Baseball, Sports

FSU vs. UM Matchups

Intangibles- Like any rivalry between the Canes and the Seminoles, this is a big weekend for both of these teams. The Canes went 2-2 against the Seminoles last year. Still, this is an FSU team that went to the College World Series last year. The Seminoles come into the series on a seven-game winning streak, including a series sweep of the Duke Blue Devils. Miami won two of three against North Carolina, who at the time was ranked No.10, so both teams have a lot going for them heading into the series.

Pitching- For the most part, both teams have gone as far as their starting pitching has taken them. Hurricane starter Bryan Radziewski has been as advertised, continuing to be that reliable Friday night starter. Despite his struggles against the Tar Heels on Sunday, E.J Encinosa has proven he is capable of shutting down teams when he’s on his game. Between the two of them and Eric Whaley,  the trio has a combined ERA of 3.30. The Seminoles do have one of the top pitchers- Sean Gilmartin, who is 7-1 on the season with an ERA of 1.38.

Bullpen- For the most part the bullpen has been solid for the Canes. Travis Miller has shut down the opposition in the times he’s come in. Sam Robinson has also been able to keep close games in the Canes’ favor before handing things to Daniel Miranda (who has 11 saves on the season). The Canes do face off against the likes of Daniel Bennett and Robert Benincasa, who both sport ERAs under 3.00.

Catcher- This is one position where the Hurricanes have struggled offensively this season. Though stout defensively, the duo of Shane Rowland and David Villasuso have struggled at the plate all year. Rowland is hitting just .185 on the year. The Seminoles counter with Rafael Lopez, who has only committed one error on the year and is hitting .301.

Infield- Miami owns the advantage here, with Rony Rodriguez leading the Canes in homeruns with 7. Harold Martinez is on 10-game hitting streak. Jayce Boyd leads all Seminole infielders with a .322 average, but the other starting infielders are hitting well under the .300 mark.

Outfield- Both the Canes and Seminoles are matched up pretty evenly in the outfield. Dale Carey has impressed as a freshman, and Nathan Melendres is more than capable of getting that clutch hit when it’s needed. The Seminoles do counter with James Ramsey and Mike McGee, who lead the team hitting at .362 and .343 respectively. Mike McGee has also traditionally been a Hurricane killer.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...