Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Field hockey team grows and improves

Dribbling the ball down the field, sophomore Danielle D’Arcy passes the ball to Colleen Rowe, who drives it into  the goal.

It may sound like a typical play in soccer or hockey, but D’Arcy and Rowe are not playing either of those sports- they are playing field hockey instead.

Field hockey is a sport where players attempt to score goals by hitting, pushing or flicking a ball into the opposing team’s goal using sticks.

Modern field hockey was created during the 19th century in English public schools. Currently, hockey has many tournaments for both sexes such as the Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games.

Priya Partridge started playing field hockey since high school and wanted to continued at UM. She has improved her skills and tried out different positions.

“I played defense in high school, but you get a chance to play all the positions on the club team,” Partridge said.

Colleen Gill has also played field hockey for some time. She finds it therapeutic.

“I have played since sixth grade and really enjoyed it, especially throughout high school because it helped me relieve stress,” Gill said.

However, the team does not require experience. They enjoy teaching new people and want more girls on the team.

“I would recommend the sport to other people. It’s easy to learn and we have equipment, so you don’t need to buy anything to play. Everyone on the team is really nice and welcoming to new people,” D’Arcy said.

Even though field hockey is not very popular in Florida, it has a passionate following.

“It’s difficult to recruit new people because not many Floridians know what field hockey is. While I’m walking to practice with my stick, my Floridian friends have literally asked me why I’m carrying a cane,” D’Arcy said.

The field hockey team currently has 12 devoted members. They have not had any recent official matches but they are involved in the field hockey community.

They have gone to support FIU’s team in their matches, and are planning to compete in more tournaments against different universities in the upcoming semesters.

They are also planning to host a tournament at UM to encourage their fellow Canes to check them out and potentially join the team.

The team continues to grow and improve. The players are eager to teach and share their love for field hockey. Regardless of skill level, anyone can play. It is a great way to stay fit and meet new people.

If you want to catch the team at practice, stop by the intramural fields on Mondays and Thursdays from  6 to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to noon.

Rosa Orihuela can be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...