Feminists still have a purpose

I am tired of people saying that feminists don’t have a purpose anymore. I am tired of hearing that I am not a feminist because I embrace my femme side so often. Most of all, I am tired of trying to explain it.

Not all feminists are the same. There are different waves, thoughts, and methods. Feminism is about giving women control and rights to be equal. It is about embracing being a woman. Do not assume all feminists are post-modern and for the abolition of gender.

I struggle to find words to express this level of rage. I don’t even know where to start. Society classifies women as subordinate. We need feminism now more than ever. Rape is so pervasive that it is in our language. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say “Oh I raped that test!”. Is that how apathetic we are? 1 out of 3 women will be raped. Every two minutes a women is sexually assaulted and less than 25% of rapes are reported. Feeling sick yet? We teach victims of rape that they “deserved it.” It is their fault. They are too scared to seek help because we shame them into silence. Women are genuinely afraid. I am afraid. I am one of 3 females in my family. Assault doesn’t just happen in back alleys.

The lack of reproductive health, whether access or education, is equally nauseating. Legislatures (ironically mostly men) are telling me what I cannot do with my body, but not teaching me about it. Education failed us. Most females have never been taught about accidental pregnancies or STDs. My education has taught me that if I ever find myself in that situation, I am at fault. I am dirty. And I went to a school with sex ed focused on those issues.

I am one of the lucky ones. There are two planned parenthoods in my area. I cannot even fathom the environment in an area without access to the clinic (which is most). Misogyny is so deep in our system that I am disillusioned. I will make 70 cents to every $1 an equally qualified male makes. The worst part is the irony of my statements. I am a white, middle-class female going to a private college. My injustices do not even compare to poverty stricken ethnic females. That is the scariest part.

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...