Feminists still have a purpose

I am tired of people saying that feminists don’t have a purpose anymore. I am tired of hearing that I am not a feminist because I embrace my femme side so often. Most of all, I am tired of trying to explain it.

Not all feminists are the same. There are different waves, thoughts, and methods. Feminism is about giving women control and rights to be equal. It is about embracing being a woman. Do not assume all feminists are post-modern and for the abolition of gender.

I struggle to find words to express this level of rage. I don’t even know where to start. Society classifies women as subordinate. We need feminism now more than ever. Rape is so pervasive that it is in our language. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say “Oh I raped that test!”. Is that how apathetic we are? 1 out of 3 women will be raped. Every two minutes a women is sexually assaulted and less than 25% of rapes are reported. Feeling sick yet? We teach victims of rape that they “deserved it.” It is their fault. They are too scared to seek help because we shame them into silence. Women are genuinely afraid. I am afraid. I am one of 3 females in my family. Assault doesn’t just happen in back alleys.

The lack of reproductive health, whether access or education, is equally nauseating. Legislatures (ironically mostly men) are telling me what I cannot do with my body, but not teaching me about it. Education failed us. Most females have never been taught about accidental pregnancies or STDs. My education has taught me that if I ever find myself in that situation, I am at fault. I am dirty. And I went to a school with sex ed focused on those issues.

I am one of the lucky ones. There are two planned parenthoods in my area. I cannot even fathom the environment in an area without access to the clinic (which is most). Misogyny is so deep in our system that I am disillusioned. I will make 70 cents to every $1 an equally qualified male makes. The worst part is the irony of my statements. I am a white, middle-class female going to a private college. My injustices do not even compare to poverty stricken ethnic females. That is the scariest part.

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Natasha Tomchin Staff EDGE Writer

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...