Feminists still have a purpose

I am tired of people saying that feminists don’t have a purpose anymore. I am tired of hearing that I am not a feminist because I embrace my femme side so often. Most of all, I am tired of trying to explain it.

Not all feminists are the same. There are different waves, thoughts, and methods. Feminism is about giving women control and rights to be equal. It is about embracing being a woman. Do not assume all feminists are post-modern and for the abolition of gender.

I struggle to find words to express this level of rage. I don’t even know where to start. Society classifies women as subordinate. We need feminism now more than ever. Rape is so pervasive that it is in our language. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard someone say “Oh I raped that test!”. Is that how apathetic we are? 1 out of 3 women will be raped. Every two minutes a women is sexually assaulted and less than 25% of rapes are reported. Feeling sick yet? We teach victims of rape that they “deserved it.” It is their fault. They are too scared to seek help because we shame them into silence. Women are genuinely afraid. I am afraid. I am one of 3 females in my family. Assault doesn’t just happen in back alleys.

The lack of reproductive health, whether access or education, is equally nauseating. Legislatures (ironically mostly men) are telling me what I cannot do with my body, but not teaching me about it. Education failed us. Most females have never been taught about accidental pregnancies or STDs. My education has taught me that if I ever find myself in that situation, I am at fault. I am dirty. And I went to a school with sex ed focused on those issues.

I am one of the lucky ones. There are two planned parenthoods in my area. I cannot even fathom the environment in an area without access to the clinic (which is most). Misogyny is so deep in our system that I am disillusioned. I will make 70 cents to every $1 an equally qualified male makes. The worst part is the irony of my statements. I am a white, middle-class female going to a private college. My injustices do not even compare to poverty stricken ethnic females. That is the scariest part.

Natasha Tomchin is a freshman majoring in history and public relations. She may be contacted at ntomchin@themiamihurricane.com.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...