Canes Film Festival showcases student work

Film students, take note- your shot at Hollywood Stardom is right here.

Now in its 14th year, the Canes Film Festival is a three-day event at Cosford Cinema that showcases pieces created by undergraduate and graduate students.

This year, members of UFilm and other students will completely run the festival.  The theme, “Celebrating the Past, but Never Looking Back,” emphasizes the changing technologies of film, but also embraces significant changes to the event.

“We’ve had a big transformation from last year- the Fesitval is now student-run, we have digital submission, screening is at a higher quality standard and the judging has been revamped,” said Maggie Drayton, a second-year graduate student who has been designated the festival manager.

School of Communication Assistant Dean Blyth Daylong said that the festival brings in a numerous amount of people to the Cosford Cinema.

“Lots of students go to see each other’s films and bring their friends and family,” he said. “There’s usually standing room only on Friday and Saturday.”

Prejudging  is done by local industry professionals who watch between 60 and 70 films that have to be under 20 minutes each. Prizes are offered in several different categories, including a “Best of Festival” for one undergraduate and one graduate film. The winners will be screened in Los Angeles for agents, producers and directors.

“We’re serious about what is up-to-standard in the industry level,” Drayton said. “These are the best films we have to offer.”

The final lineup of films can be seen on the CFF website, canesfilmfestival.com, as the event nears.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Valenzuela

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Canes Film Festival showcases student work”

1. Chris Ryan says:

Looking forward to it!!

2. Maggie D. says:

Come check out the festival at the Cosford Cinema this weekend. May 6, 7, 8th 2011. Best of Fest to premier on Sunday, May 8th, showcasing the films that will make their way to LA and represent UM on the Paramount Lot May 26th,

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...