Canes Film Festival showcases student work

Film students, take note- your shot at Hollywood Stardom is right here.

Now in its 14th year, the Canes Film Festival is a three-day event at Cosford Cinema that showcases pieces created by undergraduate and graduate students.

This year, members of UFilm and other students will completely run the festival.  The theme, “Celebrating the Past, but Never Looking Back,” emphasizes the changing technologies of film, but also embraces significant changes to the event.

“We’ve had a big transformation from last year- the Fesitval is now student-run, we have digital submission, screening is at a higher quality standard and the judging has been revamped,” said Maggie Drayton, a second-year graduate student who has been designated the festival manager.

School of Communication Assistant Dean Blyth Daylong said that the festival brings in a numerous amount of people to the Cosford Cinema.

“Lots of students go to see each other’s films and bring their friends and family,” he said. “There’s usually standing room only on Friday and Saturday.”

Prejudging  is done by local industry professionals who watch between 60 and 70 films that have to be under 20 minutes each. Prizes are offered in several different categories, including a “Best of Festival” for one undergraduate and one graduate film. The winners will be screened in Los Angeles for agents, producers and directors.

“We’re serious about what is up-to-standard in the industry level,” Drayton said. “These are the best films we have to offer.”

The final lineup of films can be seen on the CFF website, canesfilmfestival.com, as the event nears.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Valenzuela

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...