Staff Editorial: Independence, Not Indifference

It’s a fact: The University of Miami is awesome.

People love us, people hate us, kids aspire to attend and we all have friends that are jealous of our college choice.

So why don’t we as a student body exhibit pride in our school? Students don’t go to sporting events; Hurricane Force has to incentivize students to attend. They don’t participate in activities like the yearbook. Only 800 people vote in SG elections. It seems people don’t get involved at all.

While UM’s diversity is a huge selling point, it may be partially responsible for our apathy. Different nationalities often segregate themselves, as do different religions, and residents and commuters. Being friendly to others on campus is seen as an oddity, and many people refrain from getting involved to avoid the inevitable awkwardness.

Campus activities and sporting events also compete with a vibrant city life. With so much going on at all times, it’s hard to attract people to a game unless the team is perennially winning. The city also encourages students to slack off in their schoolwork and spend their nights at the Grove instead of studying. Combine that with jobs and internships, and who has time for campus life?

Being in college is a major transition in a person’s life. It’s the first time we have real independence, and at the same time we have few real-world responsibilities. College is the perfect time in our lives to be apathetic, be selfish and do what we want. It’s our time to figure out who we are and what we want from life. If laziness is your thing, now’s the time to roll with it.

But just because we can be apathetic doesn’t necessarily mean we should. College is a time of almost endless opportunity, with more than 200 organizations, sports teams and Greek life to get involved with.

Even joining one club gives you the opportunity to learn new roles and skills, and helps make the college experience a well-rounded one. Don’t remain stagnant just because it’s easy. Anyone can wear the logo, but it takes a special person to be the U. You’re here- take advantage!

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...