Memoirs of Freshman Year

It seems like only a few months ago when my parents and I were lugging all my belongings through the crowded Stanford/Hecht parking lot.

It was move-in day, and as I looked around, all the other students looked exactly like I felt: scared, excited, anxious, and above all, happy to finally be in college. I couldn’t believe it was finally here, the moment that I had dreamed about all my life. I was in college, and that meant freedom, knowledge, new friends and so much more.

At first, everything was so new that it overwhelmed me. I had never met so many people at once, I had never asked for directions so often and I certainly had never been completely in charge of my own life.

I quickly came to realize that college wasn’t everything I had imagined. Sure, I had seen plenty of movies that portrayed college life as an endless stream of frat parties, sleepless nights and cramming before huge exams. At first, I really struggled to keep up with both my classes and my social life. But soon enough, like most other people, I found my balance. I also befriended some of the most amazing people I have ever met. In fact, I’m still surprised at how strongly my friendships in college formed, but I suppose that comes hand in hand with living in such close proximity.

As the months progressed, I found myself missing high school less and less, and loving my newfound life at the university. During breaks, I counted down the days until I could return to the dorms- to my home. My friends here had become my family, the campus my world. I had never been so happy.

And just like that, all the novelty and excitement of freshman year was over. As I look back with nostalgia, there is nothing that I would do differently. I worked hard in school, was active in clubs, found a great group of friends and lived my life just as I had always wanted to. And now I am ready to face the challenges and new discoveries of sophomore year. As a final note to all incoming freshmen, buckle up for the time of your life!

Niloufar Abae is a freshman who is undeclared. She may be contacted at nabae@themiamihurricane.com.

Niloufar Abae

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...