Memoirs of Freshman Year

It seems like only a few months ago when my parents and I were lugging all my belongings through the crowded Stanford/Hecht parking lot.

It was move-in day, and as I looked around, all the other students looked exactly like I felt: scared, excited, anxious, and above all, happy to finally be in college. I couldn’t believe it was finally here, the moment that I had dreamed about all my life. I was in college, and that meant freedom, knowledge, new friends and so much more.

At first, everything was so new that it overwhelmed me. I had never met so many people at once, I had never asked for directions so often and I certainly had never been completely in charge of my own life.

I quickly came to realize that college wasn’t everything I had imagined. Sure, I had seen plenty of movies that portrayed college life as an endless stream of frat parties, sleepless nights and cramming before huge exams. At first, I really struggled to keep up with both my classes and my social life. But soon enough, like most other people, I found my balance. I also befriended some of the most amazing people I have ever met. In fact, I’m still surprised at how strongly my friendships in college formed, but I suppose that comes hand in hand with living in such close proximity.

As the months progressed, I found myself missing high school less and less, and loving my newfound life at the university. During breaks, I counted down the days until I could return to the dorms- to my home. My friends here had become my family, the campus my world. I had never been so happy.

And just like that, all the novelty and excitement of freshman year was over. As I look back with nostalgia, there is nothing that I would do differently. I worked hard in school, was active in clubs, found a great group of friends and lived my life just as I had always wanted to. And now I am ready to face the challenges and new discoveries of sophomore year. As a final note to all incoming freshmen, buckle up for the time of your life!

Niloufar Abae is a freshman who is undeclared. She may be contacted at nabae@themiamihurricane.com.

Niloufar Abae

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Memoirs of Freshman Year”

1. Josh says:

This was the most boring column I have ever read in my life. We learned nothing specific about the author’s experiences, only vague clichés. I hope that in her remaining three years at UM, she can learn how to construct an interesting narrative, or at the very least have something worthwhile to write about.

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...