Fashion Forward: Celebratory Chic

Photo Illustration by Marlena Skrobe

Once again, the end of the semester is upon us, and with it comes fraternity and sorority formals, and of course graduation! But dressing for these special occasions can sometimes be stressful, especially for those who are overwhelmed with the last few days of classes and don’t have time to spare for shopping.

Girls:

Formal- Muted jewel-tone party dresses are very in this spring. Pale hues of blue, yellow and red are aplenty in stores, especially in strapless sweetheart neckline styles. Metallic accents and nude colored heels complete the look. But be sure to rock some “TSM-worthy” accessories, like diamonds, pearls and basically anything that glitters.

Graduation- Nothing says spring and new beginnings like a crisp white dress. Your graduation dress should express the formality of the occasion but still show off a little of your fun side. The BCBGMAXAZRIA “Emmie Embroidered Floral Chiffon Dress” does exactly that, but this dream dress is likely beyond the price point of most graduates. Nevertheless, look for similar styles that are celebratory, structured and still feminine.

Guys:

Formal- Nothing is sexier than a clean-shaven boy in a suit. Nothing. But in the case that the gentlemen of UM still want to up the ante, sport a bowtie and you’ll be the epitome of “fratty.” And if you’re looking to add something new to your formal attire, consider spending a little more for a designer quality leather belt. You’ll be able to use it for years to come and a variety of different occasions- an investment buy, if you will.

Graduation- Dress in the classic New England style this spring and sport a navy blue blazer, khakis and a button-down. But of course, be true to your school and work a little “UM orange and green” into your outfit, whether it’s on your tie, bowtie or Croakies. After all, these have been the best four years of your life, so make sure your graduation attire ends your UM career with a stylish bang.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...