Fashion Forward: Celebratory Chic

Photo Illustration by Marlena Skrobe

Once again, the end of the semester is upon us, and with it comes fraternity and sorority formals, and of course graduation! But dressing for these special occasions can sometimes be stressful, especially for those who are overwhelmed with the last few days of classes and don’t have time to spare for shopping.

Girls:

Formal- Muted jewel-tone party dresses are very in this spring. Pale hues of blue, yellow and red are aplenty in stores, especially in strapless sweetheart neckline styles. Metallic accents and nude colored heels complete the look. But be sure to rock some “TSM-worthy” accessories, like diamonds, pearls and basically anything that glitters.

Graduation- Nothing says spring and new beginnings like a crisp white dress. Your graduation dress should express the formality of the occasion but still show off a little of your fun side. The BCBGMAXAZRIA “Emmie Embroidered Floral Chiffon Dress” does exactly that, but this dream dress is likely beyond the price point of most graduates. Nevertheless, look for similar styles that are celebratory, structured and still feminine.

Guys:

Formal- Nothing is sexier than a clean-shaven boy in a suit. Nothing. But in the case that the gentlemen of UM still want to up the ante, sport a bowtie and you’ll be the epitome of “fratty.” And if you’re looking to add something new to your formal attire, consider spending a little more for a designer quality leather belt. You’ll be able to use it for years to come and a variety of different occasions- an investment buy, if you will.

Graduation- Dress in the classic New England style this spring and sport a navy blue blazer, khakis and a button-down. But of course, be true to your school and work a little “UM orange and green” into your outfit, whether it’s on your tie, bowtie or Croakies. After all, these have been the best four years of your life, so make sure your graduation attire ends your UM career with a stylish bang.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Fashion Forward: Celebratory Chic”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...