Fashion Forward: Celebratory Chic

Photo Illustration by Marlena Skrobe

Once again, the end of the semester is upon us, and with it comes fraternity and sorority formals, and of course graduation! But dressing for these special occasions can sometimes be stressful, especially for those who are overwhelmed with the last few days of classes and don’t have time to spare for shopping.

Girls:

Formal- Muted jewel-tone party dresses are very in this spring. Pale hues of blue, yellow and red are aplenty in stores, especially in strapless sweetheart neckline styles. Metallic accents and nude colored heels complete the look. But be sure to rock some “TSM-worthy” accessories, like diamonds, pearls and basically anything that glitters.

Graduation- Nothing says spring and new beginnings like a crisp white dress. Your graduation dress should express the formality of the occasion but still show off a little of your fun side. The BCBGMAXAZRIA “Emmie Embroidered Floral Chiffon Dress” does exactly that, but this dream dress is likely beyond the price point of most graduates. Nevertheless, look for similar styles that are celebratory, structured and still feminine.

Guys:

Formal- Nothing is sexier than a clean-shaven boy in a suit. Nothing. But in the case that the gentlemen of UM still want to up the ante, sport a bowtie and you’ll be the epitome of “fratty.” And if you’re looking to add something new to your formal attire, consider spending a little more for a designer quality leather belt. You’ll be able to use it for years to come and a variety of different occasions- an investment buy, if you will.

Graduation- Dress in the classic New England style this spring and sport a navy blue blazer, khakis and a button-down. But of course, be true to your school and work a little “UM orange and green” into your outfit, whether it’s on your tie, bowtie or Croakies. After all, these have been the best four years of your life, so make sure your graduation attire ends your UM career with a stylish bang.

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...