Staff Editorial: Don’t waste your summer scooping ice cream

4

Back in high school, summer was the most anticipated time of year. It was filled with late nights and lazy days, and the toughest decision you had to make was what time to wake up to hit the beach.

But for college students, summer means jobs and internships. Or, of course, a lack thereof. You lose weeks of your spring applying for dozens of them, and may now be biting your nails down to nothing, hoping that one of them will work out.

However, a study conducted by Australian National University claims students should stop worrying about unemployment. Researchers have found that having a bad job may be worse for your mental health than having no job at all (income notwithstanding).

Because having a job grants a person both purpose and a structured role, it was long thought that having any job would make a person happier than being unemployed.

It is just now coming to light that this is only true for high-quality jobs. Low-quality jobs (those with high demands, low control, high job insecurity and an effort-reward imbalance) are actually more detrimental than joblessness.

With the economy being the way it is, giving up the job search may sound like an appealing idea. Here at UM, though, we have plenty of resources to help us make sure that we don’t graduate without any experience.

Toppel offers career advice and resume critiques, and many departments have internship coordinators to help with your search. Entering the real world without previous experience isn’t the smartest idea, so consider taking advantage of what UM has to offer.

For those who have yet to nab that elusive internship or job, this could take some weight off your shoulders.

Scooping ice cream may be (slightly) better for your bank account, but it may not do your mind any favors. Try volunteering to stay busy and keep your spirits up (and add to your resume!). Read a good book, take a trip, don’t stress and have a good summer!

Staff editorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Share.

About Author

4 Comments

1. Someone has to scoop ice cream! How ’bout you all get off your high horse and respect the ice cream scoopers of the world!

2. bah, come on. Obviously if you aren’t in a position to not have a job, then don’t not have a job. But there are people who like to self-impose discipline upon themselves, sometimes unnecessarily and excessively, and this is just saying take it easy if the job market is no good take it as an excuse to relax and not feel down on yourself. Geez.

3. While I do think that internships and volunteering are important and beneficial to one’s future career, it is unfair for the staff of this paper to think that all members of the student body can afford to work for free over the summer. How are you supposed to pay for that trip if you are not working? Not everyone has their parents’ credit card to charge whatever they want. How is a person supposed to not stress if they are worried about paying for college, paying off loans and paying rent? It is insulting to many people to suggest that scooping ice cream is a bad job, or that it is better to not have a job than to do so. I find it disappointing that the staff of a newspaper at such a diverse university would suggest that students not work, or forget that many students would not be at this school if they had not had these “low quality” jobs. I hope in the future the staff of this paper chooses the topics and viewpoints of their articles more carefully and does not disregard or insult large groups of the student population.