Look out for new artist Cris Cab

Courtesy Katherine Furniss

If Bob Marley, John Mayer, Wiz Khalifa and Kanye West had a lovechild, what would be the result?

The answer is Cris Cab, a Miami native, the new hip-hop/reggae influenced artist on Pharrell’s Star Trak label. Although Cab is only 19, he started writing songs at 15. He was recently discovered by Pharrell, famed rap artist, record producer, clothes designer and lead vocalist and drummer from the band N.E.R.D.

Cab said that his connections were a key part of working with Pharrell. A friend of a friend spread the news about Cab’s songs to Pharrell, so Pharrell called him into the studio and requested to hear a few songs.

“He told me what I needed to fix, so a year later, I came back after having worked on those things and played for him again,” Cab said. “He’s mostly my mentor to help me through this business.”

Of his original music, Cab said he focuses on writing about relationships. Proud of his Miami roots, Cab chose to feature 10 UM students in the music video for his new song, “Good Girls,” a song with a catchy beat and a sincere message to unfaithful guys who cheat on their girlfriends.

“I’m not opposed to college- it just depends how much time I have in a few years. If I were to choose, I would definitely go to UM,” he said.

Look out for Cris Cab’s new album at the end of the summer, and if you are going to be in Miami or the Bahamas, keep an eye out for his upcoming shows.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...