Look out for new artist Cris Cab

Courtesy Katherine Furniss

If Bob Marley, John Mayer, Wiz Khalifa and Kanye West had a lovechild, what would be the result?

The answer is Cris Cab, a Miami native, the new hip-hop/reggae influenced artist on Pharrell’s Star Trak label. Although Cab is only 19, he started writing songs at 15. He was recently discovered by Pharrell, famed rap artist, record producer, clothes designer and lead vocalist and drummer from the band N.E.R.D.

Cab said that his connections were a key part of working with Pharrell. A friend of a friend spread the news about Cab’s songs to Pharrell, so Pharrell called him into the studio and requested to hear a few songs.

“He told me what I needed to fix, so a year later, I came back after having worked on those things and played for him again,” Cab said. “He’s mostly my mentor to help me through this business.”

Of his original music, Cab said he focuses on writing about relationships. Proud of his Miami roots, Cab chose to feature 10 UM students in the music video for his new song, “Good Girls,” a song with a catchy beat and a sincere message to unfaithful guys who cheat on their girlfriends.

“I’m not opposed to college- it just depends how much time I have in a few years. If I were to choose, I would definitely go to UM,” he said.

Look out for Cris Cab’s new album at the end of the summer, and if you are going to be in Miami or the Bahamas, keep an eye out for his upcoming shows.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...