Judaic life strengthened

When Evan Finkel came to the University of Miami two years ago, he was concerned about losing touch with his Jewish roots. Then he discovered the Chabad House.

Chabad is a major movement within the mainstream Jewish tradition, with its roots in the 18th century Hasidic movement. Today, Chabad maintains institutions in over 1,000 cities around the world.

Until a community can sustain its own building, the “Chabad House” is held commonly held at a rabbi’s house. The UM Chabad House, located at 1251 Hardee Rd., is the home of Rabbi Mendy Fellig and his wife, Henchi. Though Chabad is part of the Orthodox branch of Judaism, it welcomes students regardless of their degree of observance.

“We want the students to feel that they can come to us for anything, in any situation,” Henchi Fellig said. “It is important that students who come to college feel that they have resources and a place to go.”

The Felligs are currently celebrating Passover, which began at sundown on Monday and lasts until April 26. Passover, one of the most important holidays in Judaism, celebrates the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. Those who observe the holiday are supposed to abstain from eating yeast for the span of the week.

“It doesn’t matter if students are religious or not, and we definitely do not expect everyone to stay away from yeast products, but we want to make sure they walk away from our Seder with a rich understanding of what the holiday is about,” Henchi Fellig said. “That is what means the most to my husband and I.”

Freshman Lizz Evalen’s favorite experience is Chabad’s “lunch and learn” program, which Henchi Fellig holds every Thursday of the semester.

“We learn a little bit from the Torah and we eat,” Evalen said. “But I always talk to Henchi about what’s going on in my life, and I know she’s there to listen. That’s why I love Chabad.”

For more information, contact the Felligs at ChabadUM@aol.com.

Brittany Weiner may be contacted at bweiner@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Brittany Weiner Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...