Alumnus creates innovative, safer condom with ‘handles’

The idea for Sensis condoms came to University of Miami alumnus Beau Thompson after what he could only describe as “one rough night.”

Latex condoms have remained largely the same in the last 50 years. With the modern world filled with technology and innovation, Thompson sought ways to introduce a new condom to the market.

In 2004, Thompson founded Grove Medical, which manufactures Sensis condoms with patented Quikstrips.

The Quikstrips are what set Sensis apart from their competition. Quikstrips are tabs placed on opposite sides of the condom that act as handles for easier application. This improvement ensures a safer sexual experience because users can apply the condom correctly the first time around.

“We are not your grandfather’s condom,” Thompson said. “We may have a gimmick but our gimmick is real. We are doing everything we can do to keep things responsible while maintaining pleasure.”

Thompson, who was raised in Coconut Grove, graduated from the University of Miami in 1989 with a B.A. in architecture and has worked as a general contractor.

While over two million Sensis condoms have been sold, Thompson’s goal is to control about 10 percent of the market share in four years. While this goal may seem lofty, Trojan, the industry giant, controls over 70 percent of the market share.

Thompson believes his product has an important niche in the marketplace.

“We are the condom to match your moment,” Thompson said.

Kristian Alwill may be contacted at kalwill@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristian Alwill

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...