Alumnus creates innovative, safer condom with ‘handles’

The idea for Sensis condoms came to University of Miami alumnus Beau Thompson after what he could only describe as “one rough night.”

Latex condoms have remained largely the same in the last 50 years. With the modern world filled with technology and innovation, Thompson sought ways to introduce a new condom to the market.

In 2004, Thompson founded Grove Medical, which manufactures Sensis condoms with patented Quikstrips.

The Quikstrips are what set Sensis apart from their competition. Quikstrips are tabs placed on opposite sides of the condom that act as handles for easier application. This improvement ensures a safer sexual experience because users can apply the condom correctly the first time around.

“We are not your grandfather’s condom,” Thompson said. “We may have a gimmick but our gimmick is real. We are doing everything we can do to keep things responsible while maintaining pleasure.”

Thompson, who was raised in Coconut Grove, graduated from the University of Miami in 1989 with a B.A. in architecture and has worked as a general contractor.

While over two million Sensis condoms have been sold, Thompson’s goal is to control about 10 percent of the market share in four years. While this goal may seem lofty, Trojan, the industry giant, controls over 70 percent of the market share.

Thompson believes his product has an important niche in the marketplace.

“We are the condom to match your moment,” Thompson said.

Kristian Alwill may be contacted at kalwill@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristian Alwill

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...