Alumnus creates innovative, safer condom with ‘handles’

The idea for Sensis condoms came to University of Miami alumnus Beau Thompson after what he could only describe as “one rough night.”

Latex condoms have remained largely the same in the last 50 years. With the modern world filled with technology and innovation, Thompson sought ways to introduce a new condom to the market.

In 2004, Thompson founded Grove Medical, which manufactures Sensis condoms with patented Quikstrips.

The Quikstrips are what set Sensis apart from their competition. Quikstrips are tabs placed on opposite sides of the condom that act as handles for easier application. This improvement ensures a safer sexual experience because users can apply the condom correctly the first time around.

“We are not your grandfather’s condom,” Thompson said. “We may have a gimmick but our gimmick is real. We are doing everything we can do to keep things responsible while maintaining pleasure.”

Thompson, who was raised in Coconut Grove, graduated from the University of Miami in 1989 with a B.A. in architecture and has worked as a general contractor.

While over two million Sensis condoms have been sold, Thompson’s goal is to control about 10 percent of the market share in four years. While this goal may seem lofty, Trojan, the industry giant, controls over 70 percent of the market share.

Thompson believes his product has an important niche in the marketplace.

“We are the condom to match your moment,” Thompson said.

Kristian Alwill may be contacted at kalwill@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Kristian Alwill Contributing News Writer

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...

The No. 15th–ranked University of Miami women's golf team concluded competition at the 2017 Bri ...