Sports briefs 4/18

Track and field

UM hosted its final home meet of the 2011 season on Saturday, the Hurricane Alumni Invitational. Despite a two-hour rain delay in the afternoon, the Hurricanes earned 28 top 10 finishes. In her final home meet as a Hurricane, Ti’erra Brown finished first in the women’s 100m hurdles. Devon Hill finished second in both the men’s 110m hurdles and 400m hurdles. Former Cane and National Champion Lauryn Williams won the 200m dash. Miami will next travel to Durham, N.C., for the ACC Championships on Thursday-Saturday.

Men’s tennis

The Hurricanes headed up to Durham, N.C., to take on the Duke Blue Devils in the regular season finale on Sunday afternoon. The Canes won two out of three doubles matches to secure the doubles point, but were unable to do much else as the Blue Devils won five out of the six singles matches to take the overall win, 5-2. Miami will now prepare for the ACC Tournament set to kick off starting on Thursday.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Darci Miller can be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com.

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...