Soccer tournament raises money for Japan

Spirited shouting echoed throughout the intramural fields on Saturday as teams tested their soccer skills against each other during the second annual World Cup hosted by the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO).

As part of COISO’s mission to defend the interest of international students, the organization found that an effective way of sharing culture was through sports.

With eight competing teams instead of last year’s 11, participation may have decreased, but the atmosphere was just as intense. Players dribbled and tackled their way around the field and scored goals in the name of the regions they represented.

“Soccer is something that connects the world,” said senior Kristi Persad, president of COISO. “We invite competing teams to represent their favorite region. We have teams representing China, Argentina, the Middle East. It brings them a lot of national pride.”

The COISO World Cup furthered the organization’s fundraising efforts for disaster relief for children in Japan, who are still feeling the effects of the recent earthquake and tsunami. Each tournament participant paid a $10 entry fee to compete and all the proceeds will be donated to UNICEF’s disaster relief fund.

“I think it’s great,” senior Kevin Waissmann said. “Last year we did the same thing for Haiti after the earthquake. It’s great to help people in need.”

World Cup players enjoyed the friendly competition the tournament promoted and many of last year’s teams competed again. Sophomore Marc Fruitema said that the lack of soccer tournaments at the University of Miami motivates eager students to sign up for the tournament.

“Most of the people here play on the IM fields during the week so when you hear about a tournament like this, everyone just tries to get together a team amongst their friends,” Fruitema said.

The winning team of the second annual World Cup was the Middle East.

Esther Pang may be contacted at epang@themiamihurricane.com.

Esther Pang

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...