Research at the U: Few options remain after oil runs out

Courtesy Oceana

This summer, oil prices are expected to jump to record-breaking prices. The cost of filling a car’s gas tank has passed $4 a gallon, while people who rely on petroleum for air conditioning and electricity will likely find a substantial increase in their utility bills.

Global oil prices, which are largely based on speculation, have been the subject of debate in recent years as untapped petroleum reserves continue to be exploited.

“Oil supplies are pretty tight these days and small disruptions, like the situation in Libya, can have direct consequences on oil prices,” said David Kelly, an associate professor of economics.

Many experts in the field predict that the demand for oil will likely exceed the supply within the next decade, bringing many to question the viability of alternative energy sources such as solar, wind and nuclear power and biofuels.

And as climate change research advances, many scientists are looking to these renewable energy sources to help curb worldwide carbon emissions in an attempt to slow down the depletion of the ozone layer, the earth’s protective shield from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.

Kelly, who conducts research in environmental economics and policy, does not see an immediate market for alternative energy.

“Renewable energy sources are currently very expensive to harness because the infrastructure is so costly to build and maintain,” he said. “And as far as biofuels are concerned, it is very difficult to utilize them because they drive up the prices of agricultural commodities like corn and sugar, which are utilized for food.”

While renewable energy sources seem like good alternatives to petroleum, the reality is that oil is the only resource currently available that is capable of sustaining our way of life. The day will eventually come when oil is no longer the dominant source of energy on the planet, but until the supply runs out, it looks like most people will pay almost anything to obtain it.

Jonathan Lebowitz may be contacted at jlebowitz@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Lebowitz

Contributing news writer

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...