Research at the U: Few options remain after oil runs out

Courtesy Oceana

This summer, oil prices are expected to jump to record-breaking prices. The cost of filling a car’s gas tank has passed $4 a gallon, while people who rely on petroleum for air conditioning and electricity will likely find a substantial increase in their utility bills.

Global oil prices, which are largely based on speculation, have been the subject of debate in recent years as untapped petroleum reserves continue to be exploited.

“Oil supplies are pretty tight these days and small disruptions, like the situation in Libya, can have direct consequences on oil prices,” said David Kelly, an associate professor of economics.

Many experts in the field predict that the demand for oil will likely exceed the supply within the next decade, bringing many to question the viability of alternative energy sources such as solar, wind and nuclear power and biofuels.

And as climate change research advances, many scientists are looking to these renewable energy sources to help curb worldwide carbon emissions in an attempt to slow down the depletion of the ozone layer, the earth’s protective shield from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.

Kelly, who conducts research in environmental economics and policy, does not see an immediate market for alternative energy.

“Renewable energy sources are currently very expensive to harness because the infrastructure is so costly to build and maintain,” he said. “And as far as biofuels are concerned, it is very difficult to utilize them because they drive up the prices of agricultural commodities like corn and sugar, which are utilized for food.”

While renewable energy sources seem like good alternatives to petroleum, the reality is that oil is the only resource currently available that is capable of sustaining our way of life. The day will eventually come when oil is no longer the dominant source of energy on the planet, but until the supply runs out, it looks like most people will pay almost anything to obtain it.

Jonathan Lebowitz may be contacted at jlebowitz@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Jonathan Lebowitz Contributing news writer

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...