Record store celebrates

"The Black Jackson Pollock" Greg Pitts exits Sweat Records Saturday after purchasing special Record Store Day releases Saturday. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

By 9:50 a.m. on Saturday, a line of dedicated audiophiles had already formed outside Sweat Records.
At 10 a.m., the crowd rushed in for the record store’s second annual Sweatstock, an all-day festival commemorating Sweat’s sixth anniversary and International Record Store Day.
“It’s great that people still have this kind of passion for music,” Sweat owner Lauren “Lolo” Reskin said. “This year has been way bigger than last year.”
Record Store Day began in 2007 as an international celebration of the hundreds of independently owned record stores in the United States and overseas. On the third Saturday of every April, stores come together with musicians to provide communities with special vinyl and CD releases, promotional products and live performances.
This year’s 250 special releases included a ​Daft Punk, Tron: Legacy Soundtrack picture disc, a Flaming Lips five-album box set and the Nirvana, Hormoaning EP.
In addition to specials on albums, Sweatstock showcased an array of local talent. DJs including DJ Hottpants and Mike Deuce performed inside the store, while local musicians such as Panic Bomber and Lil Daggers took the stage in the lot outside. Bands like Furious Dudes and Guy Harvey took the stage at Churchill’s Pub next door and the Roofless Rex patio stage opened up for bands like Hahahelp! and Rat Bastard.
“I really enjoyed the mix of South Florida bands,” said Michael Spears, a third-year graduate film student. “It’s important to have venues that do a lot for the community over the year and this is a celebration of that. The location is good too because it’s real, and more representative of Miami than Coral Gables or South Miami.”
The day also included comedy from Casa de Ha-Ha and poetry readings by Matt Gajewski, a UM alumnus who produces the WVUM show “Pure Imagination.”
As a part of its month-long poetry festival, “O, Miami” dropped literary bombs from a helicopter in the form of poems printed on biodegradable paper. Miami artists Friends With You provided guests with free Malfi dolls, while Gastropod, the Purple People Eatery and Raaga Cart were there selling food.
According to Reskin, this showcase of local art is the most obvious way to celebrate Record Store Day.
“The role of the record store is changing,” Reskin said. “They can be community centers or event spaces. It’s more important than ever not to just sell merchandise, but to make it a community thing.”

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...