Football, Sports

National champions motivate today’s Canes

Coach Al Golden (far right) watches the spring game from the sideline at Lockhart Stadium on Saturday. Olivier Vernon (35), attempts to tackle Jacory Harris (12). An autograph signing was held before the game, which kicked off at noon. The Green team defeated the Orange team 30-17. Carissa Harris//The Miami Hurricane

As this year’s Miami Hurricanes played their final scrimmage of the spring on Saturday, thoughts of a new season, coach and set of expectations took a backseat to the Canes’ past success.

Members of the 2001 national championship team stood at midfield during halftime to be acknowledged for the 10th anniversary of what some consider to be the greatest Hurricane team of all time. But they were not they only alumni present- not by a long shot.

Michael Irvin, Bryant McKinnie, Bennie Blades, Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson and Jon Beason were just six of the more than 100 former players in attendance for the game.

The sidelines were littered with impressively ringed fingers, multi-million dollar contracts and even the occasional Hall of Famer. And these men who once ruled the college football landscape together found themselves conversing across generations and cultures, sharing their war stories and family updates with people they may not have seen in decades.

“There’s nothing like it, man,” Beason said. “When they honored the 2001 team back when I played, I just wanted to be a part of that.”

But for some, it was also an opportunity to watch the current players develop into the positions the alumni once filled. Beason, the former Canes linebacker drafted by the Carolina Panthers in 2007, watched as Sean Spence recorded nine tackles and returned an interception for a touchdown.

Dorsey, quarterback of the 2001 national championship team, was able to observe both Stephen Morris and Jacory Harris compete.

“It does motivate us because we had a meeting with all the great quarterbacks last night and they just told us their experiences here, the championships,” Harris said. “We just took in all those things and tried to learn from them.”

If the alumni representing all five national championship teams put any additional pressure on the current Canes, head coach Al Golden didn’t take notice.

“I think they have a lot of respect for those guys, and they did what we’re trying to do,” Golden said. “I don’t think they were playing any harder, they’ve been playing hard already.”

Blades, a member of the 1987 championship team and former first-round draft pick, was impressed by the size of players like JoJo Nicolas and Ray Ray Armstrong, but he was most concerned with the intangible factors.

“We all have one thing that we want to see from these new guys: heart,” Blades said. “That’s the one thing that you can’t coach. These new guys are bigger, stronger and faster, but the heart needs to be there too.”

Canes, no matter the generation, are linked by the orange and green.

Or in the words of Beason: “It’s a fraternity like no other.”

Austen Gregerson may be contacted at agregerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...