Football, Sports

National champions motivate today’s Canes

Coach Al Golden (far right) watches the spring game from the sideline at Lockhart Stadium on Saturday. Olivier Vernon (35), attempts to tackle Jacory Harris (12). An autograph signing was held before the game, which kicked off at noon. The Green team defeated the Orange team 30-17. Carissa Harris//The Miami Hurricane

As this year’s Miami Hurricanes played their final scrimmage of the spring on Saturday, thoughts of a new season, coach and set of expectations took a backseat to the Canes’ past success.

Members of the 2001 national championship team stood at midfield during halftime to be acknowledged for the 10th anniversary of what some consider to be the greatest Hurricane team of all time. But they were not they only alumni present- not by a long shot.

Michael Irvin, Bryant McKinnie, Bennie Blades, Ken Dorsey, Andre Johnson and Jon Beason were just six of the more than 100 former players in attendance for the game.

The sidelines were littered with impressively ringed fingers, multi-million dollar contracts and even the occasional Hall of Famer. And these men who once ruled the college football landscape together found themselves conversing across generations and cultures, sharing their war stories and family updates with people they may not have seen in decades.

“There’s nothing like it, man,” Beason said. “When they honored the 2001 team back when I played, I just wanted to be a part of that.”

But for some, it was also an opportunity to watch the current players develop into the positions the alumni once filled. Beason, the former Canes linebacker drafted by the Carolina Panthers in 2007, watched as Sean Spence recorded nine tackles and returned an interception for a touchdown.

Dorsey, quarterback of the 2001 national championship team, was able to observe both Stephen Morris and Jacory Harris compete.

“It does motivate us because we had a meeting with all the great quarterbacks last night and they just told us their experiences here, the championships,” Harris said. “We just took in all those things and tried to learn from them.”

If the alumni representing all five national championship teams put any additional pressure on the current Canes, head coach Al Golden didn’t take notice.

“I think they have a lot of respect for those guys, and they did what we’re trying to do,” Golden said. “I don’t think they were playing any harder, they’ve been playing hard already.”

Blades, a member of the 1987 championship team and former first-round draft pick, was impressed by the size of players like JoJo Nicolas and Ray Ray Armstrong, but he was most concerned with the intangible factors.

“We all have one thing that we want to see from these new guys: heart,” Blades said. “That’s the one thing that you can’t coach. These new guys are bigger, stronger and faster, but the heart needs to be there too.”

Canes, no matter the generation, are linked by the orange and green.

Or in the words of Beason: “It’s a fraternity like no other.”

Austen Gregerson may be contacted at agregerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...