Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: The Sad and Horrible Results of Closing Sbarro Italian Eatery

Dear Miami Hurricane Editor,

I am sending this e-mail as a concerned employee at the University of Miami.  I feel sorry for the people who work at the Sbarro Italian Eatery which will be closing down in a few weeks.  I can’t understand why the UM is allowing Chartwell’s to just let this restaurant be shut down this way.  There will be at least 17 employees out of work who have families and really need their jobs in order to make a living.

These employees have served from five to 10 years here at this restaurant and some over 10 years.  They have worked diligently here for this company; to be left without a job and no benefits are horrible and not ethical at all.  Normally during the fall semester they do New Hire, is it or is it not ethical to hire the employees who have served and made Sbarro’s what it is today instead of hiring new people.  We have been told that at the end of July we are able to come and reapply for our positions depending what is open, however they can’t guarantee anything. They have also informed us that if someone comes in from the outside with more experience they will hire not allowing an open position for former employees. Again as stated before not ethical.

What will they do now for food, shelter, clothes and living? Does anyone have any answers as to what will happen to these employees’ families with children? How will they survive?  We all know that jobs are hard to get now; can something be done to help them keep their jobs and be able to return to work in the fall of August 2011?  Can the employees of Sbarro Italian Eatery be heard?

Respectfully,

Concerned Employee

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...