End the Censorship – Art for Free Speech

As an institution of higher learning we expect the University of Miami to promote civic engagement, freedom of expression and freedom of assembly; these values are critical for democracy. However, instead of encouraging these ideals on campus and welcoming open dialogue, our university has been suppressing the voices of Overtown leaders, residents and their supporters. A small group of administrators has made swift and decisive moves to quickly eliminate Overtown’s voice on campus. They take down innocent flyers, mark related e-mails as spam, and have tried to criminalize messages written in children’s sidewalk chalk. Recently, an Overtown supporter was interrogated by the police, given an official trespassing warning, and banned from visiting campus for two years as a result of his participation in the aforementioned activities. Now, this small group of administrators is using a single chalk incident to formally charge STAND with vandalism, and is trying to shut the organization down. When other student organizations use sidewalk chalk or flyers to advertise events, meetings or even political ideologies, they face no oppression. Administrators have suppressed the truth, demonstrating that they have no respect for the opinions and desires of Overtown residents. People all around the world are protesting violations of their civil liberties, staging revolutions for democracy, and demanding their right to freedom of expression be acknowledged. Students and faculty, widely praised as protectors of democratic values, should not sit idly by while violations of rights occur on their own campus. If you support freedom of speech on our campus, help us create a mural on the ROCK, Tuesday, April 19 from 12 to 2 p.m.

Erin Pelletier is a freshman majoring in philosophy and political science.

Erin Pelletier

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...