Football, Sports

Miller, Spence provide highlights in spring game

Coach Al Golden watches the spring game from the sideline at Lockhart Stadium on Saturday, April 16. Olivier Vernon (35), attempts to tackle Jacory Harris (12). Autograph signing took place at 10:00 am and kickoff was at noon. Green defeated the Orange team 30-17. Carissa Harris//The Miami Hurricane

The University of Miami football players had their final opportunity to compete and impress in the 2011 spring game on a cloudy and humid Saturday afternoon at Lockhart Stadium.

The green team defeated the orange team 30-17 in the intra-squad scrimmage, but the final score was not what the Miami faithful took away from the game.

For fans, it was a chance to get a lasting impression to carry into the fall after an offseason that completely remodeled the coaching staff following the Canes’ forgettable 2010 season.

Several position battles, highlighted by the duel for the starting quarterback position between junior Jacory Harris and freshman Stephen Morris, were highly contested Saturday.

“I’m just going to keep working,” Harris said. “It’s like anything else in life. You have to compete for everything.”

Morris, who started in four games last season, is embracing the competition as well.

“It makes you go hard, makes you work hard in the weight room,” he said. “Competition only brings good.”

Offensively, Miami was most effective in the running game. Sophomore Lamar Miller utilized his 10 carries to total 166 yards and three touchdowns. In the passing game, Jedd Fisch drew up plenty of check-down passes to get his quarterbacks comfortable, and he mixed in the occasional deep ball.

The two quarterbacks, who were without wide receivers LaRon Byrd, Aldarius Johnson and Travis Benjamin, threw for decent completion percentages but turned the ball over on several plays that were reminiscent of last season’s struggles.

Harris was 18 of 30 for 149 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions, while Morris completed 14 of his 22 passes, threw a touchdown pass to Kendal Thompkins and also tossed two picks.

“I thought the quarterbacks struggled,” said Brad Kenin, a first-year graduate student and Hurricane fan. “They didn’t display good pocket presence.”

Head coach Al Golden attributed the turnovers more to the solid defense than to mistakes by the quarterbacks, with whom the defenders could not make contact. He did not name a starter for the fall.

“That’s too far in advance. I just want to see them compete,” Golden said. “We’ll let them compete for the next 140 days and see who’s going to start.”

The team’s defensive ends were strong, with Sean Spence and Ray Ray Armstrong highlighting the day’s action behind them. Spence returned an interception for a touchdown that resulted in a bench-clearing celebration at the goal post that he deemed similar to the notorious celebration in the Florida-Georgia game in 2007.

Questions still remain on what the Canes will do at cornerback after losing seniors Demarcus Van Dyke and Ryan Hill and junior Brandon Harris, who decided to forgo his senior year to enter the NFL draft.

“You can’t replace those guys,” Spence said. “But I think guys are doing a great job of stepping up, taking ownership and playing their role.”

More than 100 football alumni filed onto the sidelines to watch their alma mater’s scrimmage.

“It’s a special group,” Golden said. “That’s a family.”

Thirty-three members of the 2001 Hurricane team, who brought Miami its fifth national championship in football, were honored at halftime.

“It kind of makes me feel old,” said former Cane great and All-Pro Minnesota Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie.

For fans looking forward, the Canes’ next game is their regular season debut at Maryland, a Labor Day showdown that will air on ESPN Sept. 5.

David Furones may be contacted at dfurones@themiamihurricane.com.

David Furones

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...