Overtown music festival

Grammy Award Winner Roy Hargrove headlined a line-up of Jazz, Gospel, Hip Hop and African Cultural artists during the 1st Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival on April 9, where Luther "Luke" Campbell was named King of the inaugural event. The event was held in the main street of NW 3rd Avenue, between 9th and 11th Streets in Miami's Historic Overtown District. Steven Levy and Adrianne D'Angelo//The Miami Hurricane

Music, art, food and a lot of soul were mixed this past Saturday for Overtown’s Rhythm and Arts Festival. Located in the heart of the city of Miami, Overtown is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Miami. It is steeped in black pride and culture, which was clearly demonstrated last week.

The first Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival was produced by volunteers from the non-profit organization Magic-In-Action, along with local leaders of the Overtown Community.

Entertainment was provided by Roy Hargrove, a Grammy award winner jazz trumpeter. His performance was intense and powerful.

Renowned jazz vocalist and violinist Nicole Yarling, a lecturer in jazz vocal performance for UM’s Frost School of Music, gave a heartwarming performance.

They were joined on stage by an impressive lineup: jazz ensemble Instant Attraction, South Florida Hip Hop group Vagabonds, Booker T. Washington High School’s marching band and many others. Vendors offered a large variety of Southern and Caribbean food.

It was a festival by and for the people in Overtown who were able to enjoy a day full of entertainment and great food.

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane

About Author

Rosa Orihuela Contributing Sports Writer

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...