Overtown music festival

Grammy Award Winner Roy Hargrove headlined a line-up of Jazz, Gospel, Hip Hop and African Cultural artists during the 1st Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival on April 9, where Luther "Luke" Campbell was named King of the inaugural event. The event was held in the main street of NW 3rd Avenue, between 9th and 11th Streets in Miami's Historic Overtown District. Steven Levy and Adrianne D'Angelo//The Miami Hurricane

Music, art, food and a lot of soul were mixed this past Saturday for Overtown’s Rhythm and Arts Festival. Located in the heart of the city of Miami, Overtown is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Miami. It is steeped in black pride and culture, which was clearly demonstrated last week.

The first Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival was produced by volunteers from the non-profit organization Magic-In-Action, along with local leaders of the Overtown Community.

Entertainment was provided by Roy Hargrove, a Grammy award winner jazz trumpeter. His performance was intense and powerful.

Renowned jazz vocalist and violinist Nicole Yarling, a lecturer in jazz vocal performance for UM’s Frost School of Music, gave a heartwarming performance.

They were joined on stage by an impressive lineup: jazz ensemble Instant Attraction, South Florida Hip Hop group Vagabonds, Booker T. Washington High School’s marching band and many others. Vendors offered a large variety of Southern and Caribbean food.

It was a festival by and for the people in Overtown who were able to enjoy a day full of entertainment and great food.

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...