Overtown music festival

Grammy Award Winner Roy Hargrove headlined a line-up of Jazz, Gospel, Hip Hop and African Cultural artists during the 1st Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival on April 9, where Luther "Luke" Campbell was named King of the inaugural event. The event was held in the main street of NW 3rd Avenue, between 9th and 11th Streets in Miami's Historic Overtown District. Steven Levy and Adrianne D'Angelo//The Miami Hurricane

Music, art, food and a lot of soul were mixed this past Saturday for Overtown’s Rhythm and Arts Festival. Located in the heart of the city of Miami, Overtown is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Miami. It is steeped in black pride and culture, which was clearly demonstrated last week.

The first Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival was produced by volunteers from the non-profit organization Magic-In-Action, along with local leaders of the Overtown Community.

Entertainment was provided by Roy Hargrove, a Grammy award winner jazz trumpeter. His performance was intense and powerful.

Renowned jazz vocalist and violinist Nicole Yarling, a lecturer in jazz vocal performance for UM’s Frost School of Music, gave a heartwarming performance.

They were joined on stage by an impressive lineup: jazz ensemble Instant Attraction, South Florida Hip Hop group Vagabonds, Booker T. Washington High School’s marching band and many others. Vendors offered a large variety of Southern and Caribbean food.

It was a festival by and for the people in Overtown who were able to enjoy a day full of entertainment and great food.

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...