New Gables mayor elected

Courtesy Jim Cason Campaign

The doors of Coral Gables City Hall will be opening Friday for newly elected mayor Jim Cason.

Cason, the former diplomat who has worked on more than 19 different diplomatic missions, raised $97,560. His opponents, Tom Korge and long-time incumbent Don Slesnick raised $149,065 and $193,810, respectively.

Cason, 66, will embark on his two-year term Friday.

Cason collected more than 39 percent of the vote, while Slesnick gathered 35 percent and Korge got 27 percent.

“I think I won because I worked hard,” Cason said to The Miami Herald. “We didn’t have any money so we had to talk to residents.”

Cason, who is known for his plan to change the city’s system of obtaining permits to build and remodel, has lived in Coral Gables since 2009. Prior to moving to the City Beautiful, Cason served as head of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba. Cason is a republican who was a strong leader in the anti-Castro movement.

“I had name recognition among the Latins,” Cason said to The Miami Herald. “But I had to gain a lot of Anglo votes.”

Some residents are not sure Cason will be the leader that Coral Gables needs.

“Being a diplomat is not much like running a city,” said Cary Benavides, who has been a resident of Coral Gables for 27 years.

Attorney Frank Quesada, 31, and incumbent William “Bill” Kerdyk Jr., 51, won the race for Commissioner Seats 4 and 5, respectively.

Despite many students’ apathy in local elections, some have shown interest in the election and its outcome.

“Unfortunately, the incumbent lost but I think his repeated interest and relationship with the students and SG will help raise the profile of the relationship of the city and UM for many years to come,” former SG Vice President Pietro Bortoletto said.

Cason’s campaign colors were hues of orange and green identical to UM’s school colors.

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...