Carnival takes cues from county fair

Ashley Hewlett, junior, shoots a water gun at one of the carnival games at Friday's Cane Carnival event. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

As final exams and paper deadlines loom, the last thing on students’ minds is enjoying a ride on a pirate ship or relishing in a delicious funnel cake. But this Friday between 8 p.m. and midnight on the Green and the Rock, stressed students can take a day off at the annual Canes Carnival, hosted by Canes Night Live (CNL).

CNL, a Hurricane Productions committee, hopes that this year’s event will be more unique than ever. With rides, games, music, food and giveaways, the carnival will offer a variety of entertainment.

“Personally, I’m looking forward to the rides. We’ve never had mechanical rides before. It’ll feel more like a carnival,” said junior Reggie Sainvil, the chair of CNL. “And of course for the food… there’s going to be a lot of food.”

Carnival attendees will be able to savor in other popular fair fare including hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, chicken, fries and ice cream, in addition to funnel cakes.

This year, Canes Carnival will not only offer the usual inflatable attractions and slides, but also mechanical rides. Among others, the carnival will feature a pirate ship and swing ride, favorites at other similar events such as at the Miami-Dade County Fair and Exposition, which ran from March 17 to April 3.

Another addition to the carnival’s offerings this year is a step showcase by the Alpha Phi Alpha.

“We wanted to continue that legacy that Alpha Phi Alpha is the best, if not one of the best, step groups on campus,” fraternity President Julien Jean-Francois said.

The other student organizations that will be volunteering at the carnival are Random Acts of Kindness, One in a Million and the Caribbean Students Association. These groups will be working booths where attendees will be able to play carnival-style games.

“I am excited to challenge people to carnival games while enjoying great food and music,” said senior Stacey Carrillo, CNL on-campus liaison.

Entrance to the carnival is free, as are the food, games and rides. And for seniors, the carnival will be one of their last opportunities to spend time with hundreds from the UM community and celebrate Hurricane spirit.

“As a senior, I am trying to enjoy the time I have left as a student at UM. Canes Carnival will be one of the last UM events I will attend as a student,” Carrillo said. “As the semester comes to a close, CNL hopes Canes Carnival will be a great memory for the graduating seniors and all UM students.”

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...