Carnival takes cues from county fair

Ashley Hewlett, junior, shoots a water gun at one of the carnival games at Friday's Cane Carnival event. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

As final exams and paper deadlines loom, the last thing on students’ minds is enjoying a ride on a pirate ship or relishing in a delicious funnel cake. But this Friday between 8 p.m. and midnight on the Green and the Rock, stressed students can take a day off at the annual Canes Carnival, hosted by Canes Night Live (CNL).

CNL, a Hurricane Productions committee, hopes that this year’s event will be more unique than ever. With rides, games, music, food and giveaways, the carnival will offer a variety of entertainment.

“Personally, I’m looking forward to the rides. We’ve never had mechanical rides before. It’ll feel more like a carnival,” said junior Reggie Sainvil, the chair of CNL. “And of course for the food… there’s going to be a lot of food.”

Carnival attendees will be able to savor in other popular fair fare including hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, chicken, fries and ice cream, in addition to funnel cakes.

This year, Canes Carnival will not only offer the usual inflatable attractions and slides, but also mechanical rides. Among others, the carnival will feature a pirate ship and swing ride, favorites at other similar events such as at the Miami-Dade County Fair and Exposition, which ran from March 17 to April 3.

Another addition to the carnival’s offerings this year is a step showcase by the Alpha Phi Alpha.

“We wanted to continue that legacy that Alpha Phi Alpha is the best, if not one of the best, step groups on campus,” fraternity President Julien Jean-Francois said.

The other student organizations that will be volunteering at the carnival are Random Acts of Kindness, One in a Million and the Caribbean Students Association. These groups will be working booths where attendees will be able to play carnival-style games.

“I am excited to challenge people to carnival games while enjoying great food and music,” said senior Stacey Carrillo, CNL on-campus liaison.

Entrance to the carnival is free, as are the food, games and rides. And for seniors, the carnival will be one of their last opportunities to spend time with hundreds from the UM community and celebrate Hurricane spirit.

“As a senior, I am trying to enjoy the time I have left as a student at UM. Canes Carnival will be one of the last UM events I will attend as a student,” Carrillo said. “As the semester comes to a close, CNL hopes Canes Carnival will be a great memory for the graduating seniors and all UM students.”

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...