Shawn Eichorst named Miami’s new athletic director

Courtesy UM Media Relations

The search for a new athletic director has come to an end.

The University of Miami announced on Tuesday morning that Shawn Eichorst has agreed to terms to take over the position that was left vacant by Kirby Hocutt’s departure in late February.

“Shawn Eichorst has the skills, experience, and philosophy to elevate UM athletics and exceed our highest expectations,” said University of Miami President Donna Shalala in a released statement.

Eichorst was formerly the deputy athletic director at the University of Wisconsin, where he served in that position since 2009. He has also previously worked as the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Administration from 2004-2006 at the University of South Carolina, working directly with coaches such as Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, and Ray Tanner.

“I am truly humbled and honored to have the tremendous opportunity to lead and build upon the University of Miami’s rich tradition of excellence in athletics.  Under President Donna Shalala’s great vision, passion and leadership, the University of Miami has quickly developed into not only the best institution in the state of Florida, but one of the top research universities in the United States,” said Eichorst.  “The success of our student-athletes – academically, athletically and socially – will always be our foremost objective and I am looking forward to working collaboratively with our coaches, staff, student-athletes, campus administration, faculty, board of trustees, donors, alumni, fans and community members to realize our full potential.”

Following the departure of Hocutt, the athletic department had originally announced that they had intended to announce the hiring of a new athletic director in time for the beginning of the fall semester. However, with the departure of former basketball head coach Frank Haith, the University made the hire earlier than intended in order to assist in the hiring of a new coach.

Eichorst will now be taking over the search for Haith’s replacement, picking up where interim Athletic Director Tony Hernandez had left off.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com