‘Miral’ not so controversial

Courtesy movies.blogspot.com

Does Julian Schnabel’s “Miral” deserve all the controversy it’s courted since its American premiere a few months ago? Not really. The story of a Palestinian girl’s actions during the ongoing conflict with Israel, it isn’t important enough of a film to warrant the uproar and denigration. Based on Rula Jebreal’s semi-autobiographical novel, “Miral” is engaging, to be sure, but overall, the film is fairly harmless.

The main point of contention many critics have found with the film is that it is terribly one-sided, but certainly no one ever said that art had to be fair and balanced. For the most part, the film’s Jewish-Israeli characters are portrayed as unsympathetic and vile, but this isn’t their story: it is that of the titular character, portrayed by Freida Pinto of “Slumdog Millionaire,” and her struggles as she is drawn into the first Intifada in the late 1980s.

The film’s strongest asset is its talented cast. Overall, Pinto fails to make much of an impression, but she is extremely lucky to be supported by the routinely phenomenal and wholly underrated Alexander Siddig as her exasperated father, Hiam Abbass as the proprietor of an orphanage for refugees and Omar Metwally as Miral’s love interest. Stella Schnabel, the daughter of the director, is also notable for her portrayal of the film’s sole likable Israeli Jew.

“Miral” perfectly embodies the notion that one person’s freedom fighter is another’s terrorist, and the actions of the PLO members in the film are motivated by noble intentions and vile methods. Activists whose hard-line attitudes against Israel soften are brutally murdered by supposed compatriots, and likewise, the titular character is subject to harsh interrogation methods. Overall, “Miral” isn’t vehemently anti-Israel, but it forms a nice bridge between the two opposing camps. It isn’t consequential to make a huge impression in the world of cinema based on the Intifada, but it is certainly both provocative and enjoyable.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Freida Pinto, Hiam Abbass, Alexander Siddig

Director: Julian Schnabel

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...