News briefs 4/7

STANDforISRAEL Screening

The final event for the STANDforISRAEL series will take place Thursday at 8 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema with a screening of “The Last Survivor.” This feature-length documentary presents the stories of genocide survivors from Sudan, Congo, Rwanda and the Holocaust and their struggles to make sense of tragedy by working to educate, motivate and advocate for a civil response mass atrocity crimes. Justin Kimenyawa, a Congolese genocide survivor, and Michael Pertnoy, director and producer of the film, will speak at the event.

Tunnel of Oppression

This year’s campus-wide program, Tunnel of Oppression, will take place in the UC ballrooms from Monday through Wednesday from 4-9 p.m.

The Tunnel of Oppression is a sensory experience that guides students through various oppressive acts that occur in society, specifically regarding political oppression and issues of religious, race, class, LGBT, disability, education, domestic violence and body image. Tours will take place every 20 minutes.

All the world’s a stage at I-Week

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) International Week will culminate with “The Queen’s Royal Court Banquet” on Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Hurricane 100 Room. There will be two final events before the banquet, on Thursday and Friday night at 6:30 p.m. on the UC Patio. There will be activities, performances and food, as well as prizes for attendance and a fundraiser for victims of the tsunami in Japan.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...